Intermittent stalling L3700SU

/ Intermittent stalling L3700SU #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
I have seen other threads here in the past with different tractors, but the same intermittent stalling out. Well mine was doing it as well. It's a L3700 SU HST. Has about 300 hours on it as of now. The problem was always unpredictable when it would bog down and eventually stall out. It would always restart and chug a bit before running smooth again. But it was impossible to know when it would bog out. I had done the standard repairs....new fuel filter, make sure there is no slime in the fuel, add 911 additive,new gas cap, replace HDT neutral switch, etc. I explained hat was happening to the mechanic ( not the service writer ) ..and the mechanic immediately said to change the entire fuel filter housing. It's a little plastic inline thing that has a ball valve..and apparently the ball valve has a history of getting clogged up. The part was about 20.00 and took about 5 minutes to change. Yesterday was the first time I had a chance to run the tractor for any length of time and after 2 hrs of grading my road, it ran like a champ. No bogging, never stalled..actually ran better than I remember it running when it was new. Thought I would share my experience with others who are having similar problems.

/ Intermittent stalling L3700SU #2  
Glad the fix didn't cause BIG $$'s and lot of time...thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

/ Intermittent stalling L3700SU #4  
Mine does the same thing. I'll check that out.

Thanks, Joe

/ Intermittent stalling L3700SU #5  
My B3030 does this. Just confirming that you replaced the fuel filter housing that holds the fuel filter cartridge/element?

Sometimes my tractor will stumble/stall. Other times, it starts pouring out gray/black smoke, like its dumping fuel. I'm hoping it's something simple like this, compared to something like replacing the injectors, or pump.

/ Intermittent stalling L3700SU #6  
My B3030 does this. Just confirming that you replaced the fuel filter housing that holds the fuel filter cartridge/element?

Sometimes my tractor will stumble/stall. Other times, it starts pouring out gray/black smoke, like its dumping fuel. I'm hoping it's something simple like this, compared to something like replacing the injectors, or pump.

My 4701 does this on occasion. Usually after maybe half hour of operation. It has, so far, been on days that the temperature is below 20 F. Yes, tractor warmed up and yes, keeping RPM up 1700 or more. Smoke so dense I sometimes cannot see ten feet in front of the tractor. I do shut it down a while. Sometimes this helps.

While smoking, runs terribly and acts, to me, as if it's real rich. [Just my guess, might not be that.] Thing is, I only have 20 hours on new tractor. Shop says, well, we don't know what it could be, bring it in. Shop is 25 miles away and it costs me $436 round-trip to have it hauled in and back.

I'll watch this thread and see if anyone else has ideas. Seems unlikely a plastic ball valve could be bad on a new tractor, but whatever.