Intermittent blue/whiteish exhaust from MF1754

/ Intermittent blue/whiteish exhaust from MF1754 #1  

madtowneast

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1754
Hi All,

I have been happy with my 2016 MF1754 so far. I had a 1000 hr service done roughly 60 hours ago (6 months ago). Everything was fine, but now when I drive through a bumpy part of my property I see some blue/white exhaust coming out of the exhaust intermittently. Like it starts goes away for a bit comes back. It only happens after running the tractor for a bit. It starts up no problem. The temperatures have dropped since the last time I used the tractor, but I doubt it is just water vapor. I can’t smell anything off though besides the smell of maybe burning diesel. Anybody have a good idea how to diagnose this without going to the dealer?

Thanks!

/ Intermittent blue/whiteish exhaust from MF1754 #2  
My first thought just from your description: Is there water in the fuel? It's not hard to change a fuel filter. That would eliminate one variable.

Just keep in mind I'm only guessing at this.

/ Intermittent blue/whiteish exhaust from MF1754
My first thought just from your description: Is there water in the fuel? It's not hard to change a fuel filter. That would eliminate one variable.

Just keep in mind I'm only guessing at this.
did check the fuel filter… is there water separator somewhere or just the filter?

/ Intermittent blue/whiteish exhaust from MF1754 #4  

I don't know if your filter looks like this one in the YouTube but if it does then you should be able to see a definite line in the filter between the water and the diesel if that is in fact your problem. There is nothing wrong with changing the filter as a precaution.

Chances are there is no other separator as this one would give a definite indication if water is an issue. But again I don't know as I'm not familiar with these tractors.

/ Intermittent blue/whiteish exhaust from MF1754 #5  
On my 1736 there is a separator with a red ring that will float on top of the water then the fuel filter, both have filters in them and drain valves in the bottom of their housings. There is a metal shroud around them that is not shown in these pictures.

20231025_125149.jpg
20231025_125144.jpg

On my 1736 there is a separator with a red ring that will float on top of the water then the fuel filter, both have filters in them and drain valves in the bottom of their housings. There is a metal shroud around them that is not shown in these pictures.

View attachment 837495View attachment 837496
Thank you! I know there is a little window on the metal shroud around the filter. I will need to check if the red ring is visible.

View attachment 837495View attachment 837496
Well I just checked and I don't have that red band at all... I checked the parts book and they don't list it either...

/ Intermittent blue/whiteish exhaust from MF1754 #8  
Well I just checked and I don't have that red band at all... I checked the parts book and they don't list it either...
Interesting, searching online for my 1736 and your 1754 I find the following page which shows a picture of the assembly with the red ring, the picture is upside down for how the part is mounted on the tractor:

1702508061293.png

Interesting, searching online for my 1736 and your 1754 I find the following page which shows a picture of the assembly with the red ring, the picture is upside down for how the part is mounted on the tractor:

View attachment 838038
Yeah I saw that too. But there is no part in the parts diagram. I am guessing it is part of the assembly and you can't buy it separately.

1702508900504.png

/ Intermittent blue/whiteish exhaust from MF1754 #10  
Yes, However I think your dealer may be able to drill down further on their system and find that part.

I changed my filters one time and I had put everything back together and purged the air from the system only to find the red ring when I was picking up my tools so I got to practice putting it back into its housing. I wonder if that happened to yours?