Interesting Ford tractor

/ Interesting Ford tractor #11  
Farmwithjunk,

I put many hours on a 4840 with MFWD as well as a 4850 with MFWD. Both were very funtional although I don't think either one would be described as very maneuverable. When doing field work we ran them in 2WD mostly but it was not uncommon to need the MFWD in various spots.

It is amazing the difference between a 4440 2WD and a 4450/4455 with MFWD. Ran all of those in similar conditions and there were times you wondered how you got along with the MFWD.

dsb

/ Interesting Ford tractor #12  
dsb5610 said:
Farmwithjunk,

I put many hours on a 4840 with MFWD as well as a 4850 with MFWD. Both were very funtional although I don't think either one would be described as very maneuverable. When doing field work we ran them in 2WD mostly but it was not uncommon to need the MFWD in various spots.

It is amazing the difference between a 4440 2WD and a 4450/4455 with MFWD. Ran all of those in similar conditions and there were times you wondered how you got along with the MFWD.

dsb

Manuverable, in this case, is a relative term. A tractor that large ISN'T going to be able to turn on a dime under any conditions, but when you're in a 200 acre field, who needs "sports car handling" anyway!

That 4840 was a horse, wasn't it?

/ Interesting Ford tractor #13  
Both the 4840 and 4850 were workhorses. Durable, comfortable, etc. At the time the 4840 was around the farmer had 7520s, five of them at one time. After spending a long day in one of those the 4840 seemed like a Cadillac.

dsb

/ Interesting Ford tractor #14  
dsb5610 said:
Farmwithjunk,

dsb

Maneuver? Thats what steering brakes are for!!

Soundguy

/ Interesting Ford tractor #17  
Deffinately. I've seen elenco conversions on gear units.. but never on an SOS

Soundguy

/ Interesting Ford tractor #18  
Somebody has already talked about FWD conversions and Deere 4840s, so here goes my story...

Growing up in the early 80's, my neighbor had a Deere 4840 2wd tractor and a Deere Sidehill 6620 combine. They were the biggest machines around the area. However, my neighbor needed more pulling power on the tractor to pull his disk, a heavier rear axle and bigger rear tires on his combine, and a 90-hp. chore tractor with a cab. So, he plotted a three-way axle swap.

He started by purchasing a Deere 4040 with hydraulic front wheel assist. He took the front axle off of the 4040 and had the local Deere dealer mount it on the 4840. (4840s were not available from Deere with a driven front axle and the 50-series had not been introduced yet.) The heavier front axle of the 4840 was swapped to the combine's rear axle and the combine's former rear axle was moved to the front of the 4040. All three machines looked like they belonged that way when he was done. I thought it was ingenious.

/ Interesting Ford tractor #19  
Thanks. This is an interesting post.