Interesting Experience with Tractor Engine Squealing Noise

/ Interesting Experience with Tractor Engine Squealing Noise #1  

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
Was running my SCUT today and I heard a squealing noise and though I had a loose fan belt so I adjusted it and noise did not go away....Hmmmm
While I had hood open I revved up the engine and the squeal was there and when I went to full throttle, clouds of thick black diesel smoke and engine was blubbering and running really crappy....

Opened up air cleaner and found a mouse nest, lots of acorns and a dead mouse.... The squeal was engine struggling to draw air.... Now there is a screen over air intake for air cleaner...

/ Interesting Experience with Tractor Engine Squealing Noise #2  
Had a similar experience with acorns packed in the air filter housing. Used some 1/2” SS screen I had. Many posted it needed to be a finer mesh but hadn’t had problems since.
IMG_1418.JPG

/ Interesting Experience with Tractor Engine Squealing Noise #3  
My tale .....

/ Interesting Experience with Tractor Engine Squealing Noise #4  
I put ¼" hardware cloth screen over my intake to the air filter before parking my tractor outdoors overnight for the first time. I already had a mouse chew my truck wiring harness.

/ Interesting Experience with Tractor Engine Squealing Noise #5  
I had this happen to my exhaust on my furnace on my house. A mouse built a nest in it. Luckily the furnace is very smart and does a crap ton of tests before it lights off... I had fun with a shop vac for like a half hour. Least they didn't chew on anything.

Mice can jump and climb really good...

Now during the summer months I put a metal screen over the exhaust.

/ Interesting Experience with Tractor Engine Squealing Noise #6  
We live in a forest and had this happen to my E350 based RV. Couldn't figure out why it was running so poorly and found the air intake clogged with varmit nest... nasty cleanout. Fixed it in the same way with wire mesh and haven't had problems since. Also had the varmits chew off some insulation on a starter cable... a little RTV over the chew zone and all is good.

/ Interesting Experience with Tractor Engine Squealing Noise #7  
I took the intake manifold off of a BMW six in line, but could not continue with it for about two weeks. Stupidly enough I did not think about stuffing the openings, so when I came back there was a rat's nest into one of them. A lot of small hard pieces were stuck to the inlet valve and because it was in a half-opened position, through the spark plug hole I could see also pieces fallen through on top of the piston. Had to take the head off. @#@$!!!.

/ Interesting Experience with Tractor Engine Squealing Noise #8  
IMG_4537.JPG
IMG_4537.JPG

I use these to try and keep mice at bay from my intake.