Chipper Interested in Salsco 627 pto chipper

/ Interested in Salsco 627 pto chipper #1  

jedjoe

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland TC 35A 2004
Hey all,

I'm planning on putting in some trails on my land, and clearing some abandoned pastures that have small woody (1-4 inch diameter) trees. Thought a chipper would do the job nicely for anything too small for firewood. I like the Salsco 627, made here in Connecticut. Anybody out there have one, or can give me some chipper advice before I put down my money?

I have a NH TC35a with 29.6 hp at the PTO. Have a couple of farming friends who plan on sharing, one with a JD 4300 and the other with a midsize (37 horse?) Kubota (can't remember the model).

/ Interested in Salsco 627 pto chipper #2  
Have you been quoted prices on the Salsco? Just curious what they list for.

/ Interested in Salsco 627 pto chipper #5  
Funny to read this here. Just last Tuesday I flew to Pelion, SC with a friend who is interested in setting up a shavings mill. We flew up and met Sal, who picked us up at the little municipal airport there. He took us to a farm to which he had sold a 30" mill. I have no direct knowledge of their chippers, but I can tell you that the shavings mill was very well built. It was high quality work. I also got the impression that Sal would stand behind his equipment 100%. So while I can't offer any info on the chipper, I can tell you that I think the company is solid.

/ Interested in Salsco 627 pto chipper
Due to the timing of establishing a local distributor, I'm going to be able to buy direct from the manufacturer in Cheshire, CT, which is only about 40 miles from me. I think the closest distributor/dealer's price is $3500, but I'm going to be able to get it for $2930. It's a 6" capacity, gravity feed, with 6 blades (three pairs) on a nice heavy rotor (180#). The blades are double sided and can be sharpened by the owner. Also, it has a fully adjustable bed knife. Direct drive off the pto. The discharge shute can be rotated 360 degrees. The thing weighs in at around 800#. I've been told by others that it is solidly built, with no skimping on the gauge of metal or feeble welds.

I like the idea of the chipper right on the tractor, rather than towed behind, as it makes for a much more compact configuration in the woods.

/ Interested in Salsco 627 pto chipper #7  
Everything i've seen from Salsco has been top quality. The prices i've seen were outta my reach, but if you can buy that chipper under three grand, i call that a great deal !

/ Interested in Salsco 627 pto chipper #8  
I went to the Salsco factory in Cheshire,CT. The owner took me throught he plant to see how the chippers are made. They are definitley heavy duty. I think they will sell to you direct. My local John Deere dealer is not fond of them because they charge a dealer and a single customer off the street the same price.

The John Deere dealer in Colchester has a couple of Salsco chippers in stock. I think he wanted around 2900.00 for the 4" gravity feed model.

A chipper is next on my list.

RPK

/ Interested in Salsco 627 pto chipper #9  
I bought a Salsco 627XT chipper w/ the hydraulic feed that was delivered the day before it snowed and snowed (another 12" forecast for New England tonite). So I only have 2 hrs. of use, but our Kubota L4310 (35 HP @ PTO) had no problem with maple, oak,and ash.

We intend to save anything bigger than a forearm to burn, but trying 6" maple didn't even slow the engine down.

Regarding other brands, our neighbor bought a Valby chipper w/ hyd. feed a while ago and said it tended to clog. The Wallenstein had a very heavy tray. After reviewing posts here, I didn't feel like spending time maintaining /repairing a Chinese-built unit.

One thread on Tractorbynet had a comment that you should consider that the low, level trays are easier to feed than the "drop in" trays. I fully agree w/ that comment after only 2 hrs. (maple ain't light).

/ Interested in Salsco 627 pto chipper
thanks all for the feedback so far. I've been talking with the Salsco rep this past 2 weeks. He's been very helpful. I'm glad they are willing to sell direct, as I have frequently found that dealers are not all that helpful with accessory problems when they arise (so why pay them the extra $$$?). As my closest established dealer is only a few miles shorter than the actual factory, I'd rather have the direct relationship with Salsco if a problem should arise.

Regarding the 627xt, I considered that model as well. But doesn't need the third function remote hydraulic hook up in back to operate? I have a modified (i.e. repaired and improved) ATI grapple on my FEL, and hate to have to disconnect that to run the chipper's hydraulics. I imagine I will use both the grapple and the chipper equally as I cut trails.

What did that 627xt cost, anyway? I agree that the horizontal feed might be handy, but I see most of the chippable material that I won't just cut up for firewood as light enough to not really need that horizontal feed. For those reading this string, you can find these machines at www.salsco.com.

Best of all, it's made in the USA and keeps our money here for american jobs.