Inspect the less visible parts of your tractor...or else!

/ Inspect the less visible parts of your tractor...or else! #1  

jedjoe

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland TC 35A 2004
So, my glow plug timer relay on my New Holland tc35 needed replacement. It's mounted to left of the steering column (when sitting in the operator's seat), under a fiberglas cowling that one would never think to remove normally. Four bolts later, the cowling came off and this is what I saw covering and surrounding the relay area.....an extensive deer mouse nest (actually multiple nests), constructed of hay and chicken feathers and horse hair and other highly flammable materials. By the look of it, it had been under there for years, slowly being built upon by the most recent denizens.

Took about 2 hours to blow it out, scrape it, and check all of the relays and wires. Remarkably, none of the wire had been chewed.

Replaced the glow plug timer relay, sprayed that area lightly with WD-40 (as much to make the surfaces unpalatable as to drive out remaining moisture).

Remarkably, some minor electrical quirks seemed to settle out with the cleaning.

Moral of the story: inspect the awkward, largely invisible areas of your tractor!

Attachments

• IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 674
   / Inspect the less visible parts of your tractor...or else! #3  
You really messed up the apartment!

/ Inspect the less visible parts of your tractor...or else! #4  
OMG..
U better change that filter while your there.. & did u know our machine had a block heater?? {plug}

/ Inspect the less visible parts of your tractor...or else! #5  
That is definitely one of the better nests I have seen - yikes. I have to clean a nest out of my dozer dash every spring. Seeing your's I am glad I do it yearly. But I get a reminder because I can't roll the cover down because the back is so clogged with mouse debris.

gg

/ Inspect the less visible parts of your tractor...or else! #6  
You are SO lucky they didn't start chewing....! :mouse:

/ Inspect the less visible parts of your tractor...or else! #7  
Had the same problem back in September also use WD40 no more problems but still check every time before use...there quick builders that's for sure..

/ Inspect the less visible parts of your tractor...or else!
I wonder if anyone has ever come up with something safe that can be used to deter mice in those kinds of spaces (engine compartments, under cowlings and covers, etc.) Mothballs are effective in my shop (in drawers, boxes, etc), but I'm concerned about using them near electrical wiring, engine components.

/ Inspect the less visible parts of your tractor...or else! #9  
I wonder if anyone has ever come up with something safe that can be used to deter mice in those kinds of spaces (engine compartments, under cowlings and covers, etc.) Mothballs are effective in my shop (in drawers, boxes, etc), but I'm concerned about using them near electrical wiring, engine components.

I keep Fresh Cab under cab & under hood on my tractors. I've also utilized cotton balls soaked with Peppermint oil.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 147
   / Inspect the less visible parts of your tractor...or else! #10  
Do moth balls help? Had a co-worker convince the boss that they kept wasps out of the rooftop a-c units.