Insect spray for apple trees.

/ Insect spray for apple trees. #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I have a couple of apple trees that look like they are going to produce some apples this year. I would like to spray them starting now to keep the insects off of them. I was at the garden store and they had Seven all purpose spray dust, but I don't have an applicator for spraying the dust. What I really would like to do is use my backpack sprayer. So with that being said is there an all purpose insect spray that I could mix with water and spray on the trees. Like you do with glyphosate? RRM

/ Insect spray for apple trees. #2  
I wouldn't spray my fruit trees with a sprayer which previously held Glyphosate or any other herbicide. You should be able to get something like this, provided that your garden hose is long enough, or they make Sevin in many different formulations, several of which will work in a sprayer.

/ Insect spray for apple trees. #3  
TSC, Rural King, or any hardware store, big box home store should have all-purpose fruit tree spray. You can buy one of those handy hose-end sprayers that let you dial in the concentration or mix it in your own sprayer.

/ Insect spray for apple trees. #4  
   / Insect spray for apple trees. #5  
I've been using this for many years and usually harvest fruit that show little signs of any insect problems.

/ Insect spray for apple trees. #6  
But if you get Fruit Tree Spray it not only controls insects, like Sevin or other insecticides, it also prevents diseases like various kinds of blight. I don't know all the names, but blight and other diseases cause as much damage as insects so you might as well use one of the many specialty fruit tree sprays on fruit trees. They don't cost any more either.

/ Insect spray for apple trees.
But if you get Fruit Tree Spray it not only controls insects, like Sevin or other insecticides, it also prevents diseases like various kinds of blight. I don't know all the names, but blight and other diseases cause as much damage as insects so you might as well use one of the many specialty fruit tree sprays on fruit trees. They don't cost any more either.
Ok fell'as. Thank you very much. RRM

/ Insect spray for apple trees. #8  
Too late. Worms plant eggs in the apples right after the blossom stage, and the eggs are safely tucked inside the apple where sprays will never touch them. After they hatch, the worms bore from the core to the outside of the apple and drop to the ground. The moth is a poor flier, so cocoon in the sod and soil below the apple, then break out the next spring, fly up, sting the apple, and the cycle repeats.

The best way to eliminate worms is sanitation. Remove all fruit and leaves under the tree, and work the ground up leaving nothing but bare dirt. If you are going to use an insecticide, the time to use it is when the tree is in blossom. Give your local extension agent a call. If you have the invasive apple maggot in your area, Home Extension can give you guidance on that.

There are also dormant sprays that you apply in early bud stage for scab and other deformities that affect the appearance but not the flavor of the fruit.

/ Insect spray for apple trees. #9  
A guy came into the extension office one day. Said he wanted to grow big peaches like he had in had. He'd bought all kinds of pesticides, etc. to get the job done. I felt like telling him, "If you want to poison yourself, just go buy some at the grocery store". I didn't. Should have.

For apple trees, 1 or 2 sprays of dormant oil will keep most insects at bay. Yeah, you won't have perfect apples. Some will have some insect "taste" marks but will be good otherwise. Just not like the highly sprayed and polished ones you find in the grocery stores.

Thing I found most devastating for apples and pears was the witches crook disease. In pitted fruit, it was brown rot. Likely, preventative sprays of 9 or 10/1 of water/milk (any milk) in spring would keep these from happening.

/ Insect spray for apple trees. #10  
I do dormant oil spray early. Blossom stage, BT so any larvae are controlled, pollinators not effected. Once blossoms drop, BT & fruit guard (pyrethrum) about once/week. Have had good results. Any apples that do get worms, etc, into green bin/garbage.
Have 8 apple & 2 pear trees so not a big orchard