Inner tube woes

/ Inner tube woes #11  
On my Goldoni, I got tired of thorns from blackthorns piercing the tires when brush mowing. Using generous amounts of sealant, I installed a valve on the rim, and put lots of beadseal between tire and rim, then put tire sealant (Slime won't work for this, it dries out rather quickly, there are other products out there) in the tires and haven't had a problem in nearly two years. The first winter, unknowingly, I was snow blowing all winter with a huge thorn in the tire from mowing, which when I pulled it in the spring, after two revolutions the hole sealed.

/ Inner tube woes #12  
I have sheared off the valve stem as well. I'm going to have my tires foamed so I don't have to deal with the flats, and also because the 948 with its installed weights is too heavy on the engine side. It's too off balance to use the sickle bar mower or snow thrower currently (weights still on the tractor) and I just converted to electric start, so I have the additional weight of the battery.

/ Inner tube woes #13  
I am considering making my own steel tracks for mine. I have not fully thought out my final design yet, but doing so homemade, I came out with a cost of around $450. I think I can get it lower than that with some more thought on the subject.

I have the same problem as everyone else, just a different way I am thinking of handling the problem.

(I have changed tires 8 times, on 2 tractors, in the last two weeks, so I am tired of tire-woes.

/ Inner tube woes
So, the new tubes showed up from an on-line motorcycle supply place - apparently this size is very common for European scooters like Vespa, Lambretta etc., around $13 CAD.

001.JPG002.JPG

This is one of my original tubes, always slightly over-inflated but still ready to rip off.

004.JPG

And this is the new tube installed. The lock-nut was almost the same diameter as the hole in the rim so I added a galvanized washer.

005.JPG

Seems like an improvement to me? Time will tell.

:drink:

/ Inner tube woes #15  
How much is "slightly over inflated"? I forget now what mine were supposed to be, but it was low (10 psi maybe). I ended up keeping them around 20 psi to stop the tire slipping on the rim. It doesn't matter what kind of valve stem the tube has, if the tire slips and spins on the rim it will pull the tube with it and tear the stem eventually. At least that's what mine did.

/ Inner tube woes
How much is "slightly over inflated"? I forget now what mine were supposed to be, but it was low (10 psi maybe). I ended up keeping them around 20 psi to stop the tire slipping on the rim. It doesn't matter what kind of valve stem the tube has, if the tire slips and spins on the rim it will pull the tube with it and tear the stem eventually. At least that's what mine did.

15 psi is recommended, I run 20.
You are correct, if the tire slips it will eventually tear the stem, I hope these tubes will help.
To be fair, these tires and tubes have survived 8 years of heavy use and abuse without a problem.
There was a suggestion to use bead sealer, I meant to do that but my 70+ brain forgot. :confused:

Cheers :drink:

/ Inner tube woes #17  
That first time mine tore the stem, I had low psi and just wasn't in the habit of checking them I only had the BCS for a year or so at that time and those stiff tires looked fully inflated even with no psi. Once I learned the issue I kept an eye on them, but as the years went by they slipped easier and easier. I think I should have dismounted the tires and scrubbed the rims and beads to remove the shiny surface and dust that had no doubt built up as the rubber aged. That probably would have given the beads more bite, and bead sealer would have helped too. But that machine is gone, and I'll try to remember those tips when this BCS ages. :thumbsup:

/ Inner tube woes #18  
Had mine foam filled at a local truck/tractor tire dealer. Added about 20 lb each. Also have the second set filled, I dual up on some of my real steep slopes. Love the foam on the BCS. I was tired of flats on all my small stuff, so hand trucks and garden wagons got it also. Lesson- Garden wagons get really heavy with foam tires. Won't do that again. But I have not had a flat in 3-4 years.

/ Inner tube woes #19  
G85D Grillo here. Had my tires foam filled this week as well. Goodbye to flat tires. It doubled the weight of the tires easily, but that may be a good thing for traction.

/ Inner tube woes
Hmmm.....interesting.
So what is this foam that weighs so much, is it like the stuff you spray into holes in a building? Can you leave the tubes in? Will it breakdown over time?
Just when I thought I was old enough to know everything :)