Inner Tube Sealers

/ Inner Tube Sealers #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
It's not a tractor, but I've got a garden hose caddy with tube type pneumatic tires - and they are always going flat. I can't find a reason for them to be going flat; but over the summer all 4 wheels will slowly lose their air.
There's probably some sort of goo I could put into the tubes to seal them; anyone have any specific recommendations?
Thanks, rScotty

/ Inner Tube Sealers #2  
If you are not finding a puncture the problem probably is the valve stems leaking. Might try tightening them up first.
Slime is a tire sealer used on tubeless tires. Not sure if it will work in tubes due to the flexing of the tube inside the tire.

A common problem with small tires.

/ Inner Tube Sealers
You are right. Always do the simplest thing first. Of course I checked the valves - even removed them and looked under the hand lens to see that they were seating...but it's still the most likely culprit. Especially since this is such a slow leak.

Searching internet, it seems that leaking down is a weirdly common problem with small tires. Especially with things like garden carts and wheelbarrows that use these similar "made in China" small tires. It's typically a very slow leak and may take a month or more to go flat. But the result is the same. The valve stem is as good a suspect as any. These valves look good, have nice dust caps, and all pass the spit test....but good looks don't keep them from going flat. I'll replace the valves on general principles.

Being a curious type guy, I wonder why these Chinese tube type tires all leak? Since it's such a common malady my guess is that it's some mistake in the manufacturing process. I'm old enough to remember when Japanese equipment was almost all junk; things would fail because the maker had overlooked some simple but essential step that a more technological society- like the USA of the time - had solved many years before. Imported parts looked the same but didn't work the same.

That's not the case today, of course. With that in mind, I'll replace those valve stems even though they look perfect. In fact, I'll probably have to replace the Chinese ones with "made in Japan" parts!
At least I'll know the replacement valves will be made right..... Now how's that for irony? :)

And I'll still look around for some sort of injectable tube sealer or maybe even some sort of "foam in a can". There's no real reason why they need to be 100% pneumatic type. Maybe the offroad motorcycle or bicycle shops have the right goo.

Tires are 4.10/3.50 X 4" & rated at 30 psi. I usually run them at 10 psi or so.
rScotty

/ Inner Tube Sealers #4  
I fought the same battle with my finish mower and finally bit the bullet and bought solid tires for it. I had to put in different sized axles and add some bushings, which made it a bit of a headache, but once it was done, I haven't had any problems since then. Money well spent considering all the time I lost messing around with flat tires.

Eddie

/ Inner Tube Sealers #5  
All 4 tyres doing the same thing? Sounds like poor quality rubber to me with spongy or porous areas. Many Chinese engines have absolute rubbish rubber components. Its perished before it even arrives, and sure doesn't last long around petrol. Actually, calling it rubber is probably being generous. If they are using the same junk to make tubes then you better keep the compressor on standby.

I'd get a bottle of slime and throw a bit each tyre and see how it goes. It won't be expensive to try. (You CAN use it in tubes as long the holes are tiny.)

/ Inner Tube Sealers #7  
A few weeks ago The Plant Manager pointed at her el cheapo hose caddy with 2 flats and said "Fix it".
I put air in them and in a few days they were flat again.
So I loaded them with Slime and refilled them with air.
The next day she wheels the cart around to where I'm working on a slip clutch to show me what a great job I did.
Not.
Green was oozing out of dozens of places on each tire.
Seems the rubber cracked - all the way thru - around most every lug.

/ Inner Tube Sealers #8  
Time to replace the tires, what size do you have?

/ Inner Tube Sealers #9  
Unfortunately these days buying even decent cart or wheelbarrow tires is next to impossible. Of course you know full well where they come from an to call them dismal would be far to kind. More often than not you will take it apart to see it cracking around the inside of the doughnut. Whatever they use for rubber it's dry rotting sometimes in as little as a few months. Those cart tires aren't much better.
It's funny how my tire from my 1988 wheelbarrow is just like new after I left it sitting out under a bush for many many years yet newer ones are all the same type crap. I have tried slime and it works some of the time as does patching for pin holes. Nothing works for the cracking though.

/ Inner Tube Sealers #10  
Remove valve stem core.Get a tight fitting piece of clear tubing that will slide over the valve stem.Drill 3/16" hole other side of stem in the tread.Get a can of great stuff foam.fill till the foam comes out of the 3/!6" hole.Valve stem will be on the bottom.make sure the tubing will not slide off can or valve stem or you will have a mess!Use hose clamps if needed.I did this to my pressure washer tires & I can stand on the tires,no more flats.