Info regarding coolants for Ford diesels

/ Info regarding coolants for Ford diesels #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Regarding Ford Tractor Coolant (diesel models)

Ive been researching different coolants for past few days and thought I would share my findings. As you know there are many types of coolants today. Some are ok for our tractors and some are not. This is due to being incompatible with rubber gaskets, copper and bronze components. Im speaking of the new generation coolants that are orange red etc. In general for diesel engines you need a heavy duty coolant which will include a inhibitor package. The correct coolant (for fords and most others) should be green in color (or pink if has inhibitors) and have low silicate levels. You can either buy standard coolant like shellzone universal (green) and add additives like the F15 by Fleetguard sold under the ford name or you can buy a pink color coolant that is a conventional coolant but also includes the inhibitors. These additives protect cylinder sleeves from pitting if you have them (not in our fords) or also protects from chemical erosion of parent bore engines like the fords. I am not sure about the yellow coolants like prestone. I know they don't have the additives. And I would be concerned if you added them that they may not last as long if not compatible with the coolant. The correct coolants that have the inhibitor package are like Prestone Heavy Duty, Fleetcool, Fleetline among others. Fleetcool actually uses the exact same inhibitor package (they make it) that is spec for Ford and New Holland. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
   / Info regarding coolants for Ford diesels #2  
Ford Diesels plus Ford Gold coolant = not good.

Get rid of the Gold and replace with CAT-1 rated ELC or Ultra ELC, especially if you have the 6.0l diesel. Hopefully, most 6.0 owners already know this.

/ Info regarding coolants for Ford diesels #3  
all my old ford diesels get green coolant and fw15 addatice.. or another dca / sca addative..

/ Info regarding coolants for Ford diesels #4  
I use John Deere Cool Gard II in mine and I am very happy with it. I use everything else New Holland on it.

/ Info regarding coolants for Ford diesels #5  
I use the FleetCharge in all my diesel tractors, as well as the Kenworth. Buying it, by the case at my local fuel supplier, it's cheaper than anything at Walmart.

/ Info regarding coolants for Ford diesels #6  
Any antifreeze "recommendation" I see that sorts products by color is immediately disregarded. Color does not accurately determine an anitfreeze's appropriateness for use, or whether or not it contains DCA/SCA protection.

/ Info regarding coolants for Ford diesels #7  
I use the FleetCharge in all my diesel tractors, as well as the Kenworth. Buying it, by the case at my local fuel supplier, it's cheaper than anything at Walmart.

That is what I use on my little 1720 and other diesels as well...
Don't have to worry about SCA levels...
As many years we have used diesels we have never had an issue with cavatation...
Just used regular anti freeze ...
Now I use the FleetCharge in all diesels...

/ Info regarding coolants for Ford diesels
Any antifreeze "recommendation" I see that sorts products by color is immediately disregarded. Color does not accurately determine an anitfreeze's appropriateness for use, or whether or not it contains DCA/SCA protection.

Rick you are correct but its still a rough guideline or starting point. Pink appears to designate conventional coolant thats pre-charged with the SCA's. There are many charts on the net like the below. Basically we want a conventional coolant with the additives. Once they start depleting just recharge and your good to go. Others may work ok to but if you want to follow Fords specs thats the way to go.

image-3400463747.jpg

Last edited: