Indoor shooting range excitment

/ Indoor shooting range excitment #21  
With the number of imbeciles handling firearms, I'm really surprised that the accident rate isn't higher.
I don't know what the accident rate is... but I have heard of many accidental shootings. A friend of my daughter was killed 'supposedly' when she got out of a friend's truck and a gun fell to pavement and shot her. I am still suspicious about the story but it was ruled an accident.

/ Indoor shooting range excitment #22  
I don't know what the accident rate is... but I have heard of many accidental shootings. A friend of my daughter was killed 'supposedly' when she got out of a friend's truck and a gun fell to pavement and shot her. I am still suspicious about the story but it was ruled an accident.

Worked with a guy who had a huge scar across the back of his head. He had a similar story.

/ Indoor shooting range excitment #23  
My mom often spoke about "saturday night specials" blowing up in peoples' faces. I don't know why, but she talked about it often when I was young.

So I was about 30ish when my father-in-law mentioned he had a .25 semi-automatic pistol that he hadn't shot since THEY got married and asked me to check it out for him. So I inspect it, take it apart, it looks good, I put it back together and we go out to our farm to test fire it. I point it towards a sand pile and pull the trigger. It goes BANG! and I look and it did not eject the spent casing. It got jammed. So I pull the magazine, clear the jam, look it over, everything moves freely. I load it up again, aim, fire BANG!

OWWWW!!!!! and I feel someone basically punch me in the mouth! I grab my face and my lips are numb. I ask dad if I'm bleeding? He says no. I walk over to the truck and look in the mirror and I have a spiral red mark across both my lips. The slide is laying on the ground. The saturday night special blew up in my hand and the first thing I thought of was my mom! :laughing:

Inspection revealed there was metal fatigue and a long ago occurred crack in the slide that allowed it to break off and come back in my face. The spiral bruise on my lips was from the spring.

It was kinda scary. :thumbsup:

/ Indoor shooting range excitment #24  

It’s not unlikely that a revolver falling out of a truck and landing on the hammer could fire. Without knowing any more details I’d say that’s a plausible story.

/ Indoor shooting range excitment #25  
It’s not unlikely that a revolver falling out of a truck and landing on the hammer could fire. Without knowing any more details I’d say that’s a plausible story.

I think you're right. The older revolvers had the firing pin as part of the hammer. Dropping it on the hammer could make it discharge. I believe the newer ones, are constructed in a manner that requires the trigger to be pulled before the firing pin will engage. To my knowledge, most, if not all of the older run-of-the-mill rifles do not have an intercepting safety. A well worn rifle can, and sometimes will discharge with a good jar. My Dad had an old Steven's bolt action 30-30 that he carried in his truck...always with the barrel pointed downward. It went off and of course shot a hole in the floor of the truck.