Indian quartz arrowhead area!?!?!

/ Indian quartz arrowhead area!?!?! #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Where I grew up my grandfather bought 30 acres from a fellow who had 2500 acres. Grandad had a lake put in when I was a kid in 1954.
Whenever we plowed we found lots of arrowheads, usually white quartz.
The neighbor was an interesting guy, lived in a cabin and did things like they did in 1800s. He never had a phone, electric, plumbing, tractor, etc. He had draft horses, oxen, horse drawn equipment (I'm blessed to have known him...super nice guy).
Over the years (he passed in '71) his land has been sold in sections, etc. Except for a section upstream from our lake which is as it was hundreds if not thousands of years ago. On this land is an area that's a quartz pit...about 30-40 ft. circle maybe 3-4 ft. deep. All around the top edge are piles of quartz chips.
A few years ago I had a state anthropologist and a geologist look at it...my theory was essentially confirmed this is where Native Americans made arrowheads!!!
Unfortunately, that property belongs to a fellow in his 80s that I know. I asked about buying it but his intentions are to leave his land (about 35 acres) as a conservancy, doesn't want to sell.
I even called the bureau of Indian affairs in D.C. My point to all this, and I'm thinking others would agree, places like this are disappearing constantly. It's close to a major highway. Anyone know who I could contact about preservation?
It seems as time goes on rather than preserving history, statues are being destroyed or removed and to me there's no turning back...a bulldozer can destroy what may have existed for thousands of years.
Thanks.

/ Indian quartz arrowhead area!?!?! #2  
I think he might have the same idea as you do. You should ask him which conservancy he is involved with.

I owned a ridgetop about 25 yrs ago and sharecropped it with an old WW2 vet who had sharecropped it off and on with previous owners since he returned from the front. He said he had turned up a lot of artifacts on that field over the years. Actually, he said he kinda hated to find one because, for the rest of the day, every time he sees a pile of birdsshitt, he thinks its an arrowhead and has to stop the tractor and check it out.

/ Indian quartz arrowhead area!?!?!
The fellow who owns the land now really doesn't care or understand this aspect. He just doesn't want to see his place turned into yet another sub division.
I feel like I'm alone in my thoughts about this area, wish I knew how it could be protected and preserved. I guarantee years from now it will be buried...maybe not that far in future.

/ Indian quartz arrowhead area!?!?! #4  
The ones making arrowheads were not eternal beings who lived forever. So there is Spirit in the area, also graves. You may not know what to look for or how to find that. Or know. Best not to disturb. A hornet nest from City Fathers might be a pinprick compared to other consequences.

Good advice here is universal: proceed cautiously, if at all.

/ Indian quartz arrowhead area!?!?! #5  
You are about 90 miles northwest of me. We find arrowheads all the time. The Monacans are the indigenous tribe in the Lynchburg area. They have a Monacan Indian Nation Ancestral Museum in Amherst VA. They may be of some help.

Thanks so much for the advice.

The ones making arrowheads were not eternal beings who lived forever. So there is Spirit in the area, also graves. You may not know what to look for or how to find that. Or know. Best not to disturb. A hornet nest from City Fathers might be a pinprick compared to other consequences.

Good advice here is universal: proceed cautiously, if at all.
You're right and I understand which is why I was hoping it can preserved. My Father-In-Law was Cherokee.
We'll go to the Amherst Monican museum.

/ Indian quartz arrowhead area!?!?! #8  
IMO I would look for a university with a prolific anthropology program and get them interested if there are none that have already studied the area...FWIW the site I describe below was discovered as a major site 10 years after some graduate students dug several test holes and found nothing of importance...later it was learned they had concentrated on digging too near the middens (shell mounds) that was 100 yards away from where the hoard of artifacts were eventually found...

If it is a significant site it has likely been used by several different clans and tribes over the centuries and not by just the last to inhabit the site...

The use of quartz may indicate a lack of flint or other material in the area suitable for projectile points, knives and other tools...Quartz is harder to work with than flint and other materials...

I'm quite familiar with a site in FL that is adjacent to a property I own on the west coast along the intercoastal waterway...where there is a natural fresh water spring.
...There have been thousands of points and other tools found in a small area...there is layer after layer of napped chips of both flint and fossilized coral...a large area of middens is adjacent...

The most interesting thing about the site is the evidence (stone tools and artifacts) the use by a wide span of different groups over time...
Projectile points dating back nearly 8 thousand years...Also much older clovis points were also found but some theories are many of them were "second hand" tools found and re used by later groups.

The latest artifacts by date were as little as 200 years old and the difference in quality of the craftsmanship had significantly deteriorated from earlier specimens...

/ Indian quartz arrowhead area!?!?! #9  
You should be happy he wants to leave it to a conservancy and not sell it for development. There's a conservancy here in northern Indiana that has about a dozen properties of varying size and they do a very nice job of keeping trails mowed, educational programs, and open to the public for enjoyment.

I am happy...I just believe (understand my ancestors all were from the UK) that this was the Native Americans land! History I was taught in school many years ago was incorrect (I was sent to principals office when grammar school teacher said Columbus discovered America in 1492 and I disagreed). Areas like this should be protected for many reasons. And there are mounds scattered around also, so it certainly may be very sacred.