Increased traffic on country road.

/ Increased traffic on country road. #81  
297936928_4769939553105938_2583891322925744232_n.jpg

/ Increased traffic on country road. #83  
Welcome to 11'8"; a viaduct with its own website because so many truck drivers ignore all of the warnings;

We fairly regularly get semis that ignore the various warnings and flashing lights about road not suitable for trucks longer than X feet kingpin to rear axle. It is pretty obvious, and yet...

All the best,

Peter

/ Increased traffic on country road. #84  
Guess we all learn something new everyday. Have never heard them called anything else besides tin horns. Must be a Southern thing lol.
Interesting. To me, tinhorn is always an adjective modifying the word dictator.

The dictionary definition is (essentially) a low-end or unscrupulous gambler. The name comes from the horn shaped tin shakers they used for dice back in the 1800s.

From what I can tell, there is a culvert company in OK called Tinhornsrus. I cannot tell if the nickname came first and the company played off of that, or if their name (or similarly named company) led to the nickname.

/ Increased traffic on country road. #85  
We fairly regularly get semis that ignore the various warnings and flashing lights about road not suitable for trucks
Despite a plethora of signs and warnings, I drove a 34' diesel pusher motorhome over Ebbetts Pass in CA. Twisty, usually barely wider than a single lane, tight and steep switchbacks, one section with a 24% grade, and a summit of over 7,000 ft. Motorcycle riders seek it out for some twisty driving fun.

Near the summit I encountered an opposite direction Dodge RAM 1 ton dually pulling about a 30 foot horse trailer. I thought: "what is that idiot doing driving THAT on this road?" Then I realized he was saying the exact same thing about me.

/ Increased traffic on country road. #86  
Interesting. To me, tinhorn is always an adjective modifying the word dictator.

The dictionary definition is (essentially) a low-end or unscrupulous gambler. The name comes from the horn shaped tin shakers they used for dice back in the 1800s.

From what I can tell, there is a culvert company in OK called Tinhornsrus. I cannot tell if the nickname came first and the company played off of that, or if their name (or similarly named company) led to the nickname.

Thats a term I haven't heard in years since the cheesy westerns back in the 50's.

/ Increased traffic on country road. #87  
We have a Forest road, which mapping software says is the shortest way to and from a mine. It is not however the truck route to the mine. Truckers are given routes by their dispatchers which send them on the shortest route. Which is our single lane with turnouts, twisty/winding, tight corners, Forest Road. The mine bought a huge military surplus tow truck, so they can go recover the truckers, and get their freight.

/ Increased traffic on country road. #88  
Many years ago we were bush hogging at our farm back in the sticks. It was after my father had died so it was just my mother and I. We noticed that the same five or six cars were burning the road up going back and forth every ten or fifteen minutes. After I finished lunch and took over from mom I noticed that she had mowed down several small patches of what I thought was marijuana in the center field. I continued mowing and I think I wiped out the rest of their crop. For years I never went to that place alone or unarmed. A couple years later there were at least two families busted for raising pot in that river bottom.

RSKY

/ Increased traffic on country road. #89  
So back to the topic at hand. I posted earlier about I also had increased traffic on our township road. I had talked to our county engineer, who I know, she used to be my boss. She later on was at a meeting and talked to other county engineers about the issue. It appears it happens all over the place, they all have similar problems. One person even said they have a low narrow viaduct, all sorts of warning signs and even flashing lights. They still have semi trucks get wedged in. Long story short, they probably aren’t going to do anything.

I have also played with different nav. apps. There are settings for no tollways, shortest, and a new one, most efficient. I can’t help but wonder if the most efficient translates to roads that wouldn’t have gotten used before.

Regarding that "most efficient" route. I have done some digging around, because I am seeing it a lot. Google is using speed limit data to pick a route that is close enough to the same time as the actual fastest route but limits average speed (assuming you are going the speed limit). This is running under the theory that you are getting better gas mileage if you average 50mph vs 70mph. Practically, this means that I am seeing google direct me to take the back roads to go to an exit a few miles closer to the big city before getting on the interstate. The actual fastest route is to take the slightly bigger roads and get on the closest exit.

My "real job" is in the big city about 50min away, so I have to check traffic every day before I go to work so I know which way to go. Google almost never tells me to go the way that is the most obvious (and thus the one correctly engineered by the county to be the interstate access route).

/ Increased traffic on country road. #90  
Our back road joins two highways before a major town but doesn't get a lot of traffic, however, about 5km along it 15km length it does a sharp right turn and another road goes straight through so for anyone who doesn't know they think they are still on the main road, we have many queries from confused tourists passing through.
We don't mind as we get to meet some interesting people and see some unusual vehicles the last one being a Ural 3WD motorbike with side car from the 1940s.