In need of tire advise

/ In need of tire advise #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
Don't know if this is the proper place for this question, but here goes. The wife bought a set of Michelin 60 thousand mile tires a couple of years ago. I check the air pressure and rotate them as required. They now have thirty five thousand miles on them and they are worn down past the wear bars. Not real happy about this situation, so we are on the prowl for something better. Have any of you had similar results from Michelins. Would you happen to have any suggestions on the next set to buy? RRM

/ In need of tire advise #2  
I had 3 different sets of Michelin LTX MS tires on a Duramax truck and got 65000 to 70000 out of all three sets. truck now has 230m on it.

I think the tire wear has as much to do with the vechile alignment etc as the tires. Had a S10 with Uniroyal Larado tires, and was at the tire shop getting new ones at 70M miles. Another guy was in there arguing with the manager about the very same tires wore out on his S10 at 35M miles. Same tire, same truck, different results. And guess what, the manger took him out to the shop and showed him my truck and tires.

/ In need of tire advise #3  
What type of vehicle? I’ve had good luck with all my Michelins.

/ In need of tire advise #4  
I've not had any Michelins. I always go with Toyo. Two good reasons. One - they are a good looking all season tire and they do well on my pickup and Jeep. Two - they are a pro-rated 60K tire. Ex - the last tires, all four were worn out at 32K. They reduced the four new tires by the pro-rated amount of wear I didn't get on the old set. I got the four new tires for just about half price.

As long as I get a pro-rated value on the old tires toward the cost of four new tires - - I don't give a toot what kind of mileage I get.

However - since I have no idea where Rat Rod Mac lives - I don't know if he has access to the same tire stores.

/ In need of tire advise #5  
I run Pirelli Scorpions on my Navara, very quiet and hang on well and so far 80,000km with plenty of tread left.
My brother runs Scorpion Green on his Porsche Cayenne and likes the handling, nice tyre, dog ugly car.

/ In need of tire advise #6  
Keep in mind that as your wear rating goes up, your traction goes down.

/ In need of tire advise #7  
Tires wear (out) for many reasons: high speed, heavy loads (undersized). low pressure, trailer towing, best wet and snow traction, high longitudinal and lateral gs and alignment conditions. Only getting 1/2 the life out of your tires tells me that you won't do any better on any other brands unless something changes.

I worked for the automotive industry for 40 years and have almost that many involved with tire specification, development and diagnosis. I've heard and seen it all.

A reply with vehicle year, brand, model and driving environment would help clarify you situation. Please tell us you don't use a pencil gauge to check your pressures ! That alone would be a likely failure mode !

/ In need of tire advise #8  
I've used Michelin LRE highway tires on my pickups for years. Always get 60-70k. How much towing and highway miles makes a difference.

/ In need of tire advise
Thanks for your replies. It's my wife's car, she's sixty years old, not exactly a hot rodder, she drives fifteen miles to work everyday and ten of them are on the inter- state. Has never used the car for rock climbing or pulling an air stream trailer. Just your basic work car and grocery getter. Like I said, I check the pressure every time I change oil and I do that every two thousand miles. The tires are not worn on one side or the other indicating an out of alignment. They are worn straight across. Maintenance is top rate on this vehicle. Very disappointed with these Michelins. RRM