Impressions after 24hrs

/ Impressions after 24hrs #1  

deadstick

Silver Member
Tractor
PT-425
Been quiet around here for the last couple of days so I thought I would share my impressions of the PT-425 after 24hrs of use....

I bought the PT to perform clearing and landscaping work. I already have a cheap riding lawnmower which cuts my grass but the bonus would be I could use the PT to mow the grass once it quits (the lawnmower that is, don't won't to start another flame war /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif).

I'm definately glad I bought the two bucket sizes, the small one with teeth. The teeth in my opinion are a must have if you plan on doing any digging. I have dug out 4x2x2ft limestone rocks with this thing. You know how it is, you see this little piece of rock sticking out of the ground you want gone and find out it's a [censored] iceburg /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif. The larger bucket is great for moving loose dirt/mulch and such. I also use it for leveling surfaces.

Haven't heard too much about the tiller but I must say it is tough. I've hit some 1ft rocks and it pulls them out of the ground with ease. Occasionally the rocks get stuck between the tines and housing, but you just drag it along the ground for a bit and they fall out, though sometimes I have to get the hammer out because one is really jammed in there.

I may get myself a set of bar tires along with my turfs. I find that I spin occasionally when I'm really working it, but my initial thought was I have to clear/landscape around existing lawn and did not want to tear it up......

So in short, this machine has more than met my expectations. The bonus is that I will be able to mow my grass with this thing. I secretly wish that my riding lawnmower will break so that I have an excuse to purchase the mowing attachment to get the grass mowed /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Impressions after 24hrs #2  
"I secretly wish that my riding lawnmower will break so that I have an excuse to purchase the mowing attachment to get the grass mowed"

Just chain the riding mower to the back of your PT, start the mower up, then drag it around with the PT!

/ Impressions after 24hrs
lol..... Hmmm now you have me thinking.. I could weld a quick attchment plate to the riding lawnmower and off I go, now that would be a sight /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

I just noticed I got censored in my original post. In case you're wondering I had originally written the word "d a m n" /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Impressions after 24hrs #4  
<font color=red>I may get myself a set of bar tires along with my turfs. I find that I spin occasionally when I'm really working it, but my initial thought was I have to clear/landscape around existing lawn and did not want to tear it up......</font color=red>
Chris:
I got turf tires on my 1845, and have had some traction problems. When I asked for bar tire and wheel prices from Power Trac, Terry advised first to give it a thorough test with low air pressure in the turfs. It turned out I had put 18 psi after injecting slime, so I dropped it to 10. Although I only have used it for a couple of hours mowing, and not on my worst sections, the traction does seem significantly improved.
You may already have yours at proper pressure, but Terry said that some people have gone as low as 5 psi with good results. I may still get an aggressive set of bar treads, but Bubenberg & others tell me I don't have to, even for snow.

/ Impressions after 24hrs
Yes, my tire pressure is slightly under 10psi. I may try lowering it when I'm doing some heavy duty clearing....

Do you happen to know the prices you were quoted for the bar tires and rims? You probably have different tire/rim sizes than the PT-425 though....

/ Impressions after 24hrs #6  
My tires are 26-12-12 on 12x10 rims. Don quoted me $205 for a mounted bar tire and rim, which sounded ridiculously high. Terry agreed and got me a quote for the rim only - $37. If I decide to do it, I'll get them locally, I think.