Importance of dealer proximity

/ Importance of dealer proximity #1  

pmhowe

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610
I知 planning to buy a 25 HP tractor, with loader . I知 looking at Kioti, LS, New Holland, Massey Ferguson, Kubota. Each has a dealer within two to three hours drive.

From what I have read on this site, having a good dealer close by is important, a major factor in deciding what tractor brand to buy.

Also, from what I have read on this site, all of the brands I have mentioned offer quality products in recent years, with rare lemons. In that case, dealer proximity is not so important.

Please tell me: 1) How close is your dealer? And 2) How often have you had to use your dealer? Also, of course, your tractor brand. and 3) what would you recommend?

Many thanks for the help.

Phil

/ Importance of dealer proximity #2  
1 close maybe 30 minutes away....
2 Maybe 1 time a year and sometimes not for a couple of years...
3 Kubota.....:)

/ Importance of dealer proximity #3  
I have owned Mahindra, Kubota, and JD. For me dealers are for filters and the occasional part. I owned my Mahindra for over 12 years and I bought filters and one fan belt from the dealer. I have owned my Kubota for over a year and I have bought filters, Hydraulic oil, and a hub for my bush hog wheel (my fault). I have bought a few parts for my JD mower over the years from a dealer.

All three dealers are within 30 minutes from my home. If you plan to do your own service and basic repairs in my opinion dealer is not that big of deal but many will disagree with me.

/ Importance of dealer proximity #4  
Please tell me: 1) How close is your dealer?

528 miles

And 2) How often have you had to use your dealer?

Once for parts. A couple times for questions. I do all my own service/repair.

Also, of course, your tractor brand.

PowerTrac from Tazewell, VA. No dealers. Factory direct.

and 3) what would you recommend?

Any of the brands you have mentioned can provide great machines. I'd recommend you sit on as many as you can. In the smaller machines, ergonomics is important.

Many thanks for the help.

Phil

Welcome to TBN! :thumbsup:

/ Importance of dealer proximity #5  
Ford /New Holland
Kubota
Nearest dealer for either is 85 miles.
Never visited a dealer, and likely never will.
Most parts/supplies purchased from Messick's, 450 miles away.

/ Importance of dealer proximity #6  
My dealer is 65 miles away. I have been back there twice, (without my tractor) since I bought it 4 years and 750 tractor hour ago, just because I happened to be in the area. I have had him ship me minor warranty repair items, and replacement parts for stuff that I have broke. Not a big deal to me that he isn't closer. Nor would I be particularly bothered if he were further away. I think a lot of it depends on your your psychological mind set. Some people have a requirement for more comfort and security and would freak out if their dealer were more than a half hour away. And other people are perfectly comfortable without that security blanket of a nearby dealer. As you follow this forum you will see people on both sides of that mindset, and their is no clear consensus on one way being superior to the other.

Actually, on average I'd have more faith in most independent tractor repair shops than most dealer shops if I ever had the need to take my tractor in for repair.

/ Importance of dealer proximity #7  
1)95 miles
2) I buy my filters at the Kubota dealer, as well as some other parts.
3)Kubota, of course. ;)\
Actually any of the brands you mention are as good as the others. Spend as much time looking as you can, and buy the one which feels right. If I hadn't needed to buy something right away I would have taken more time to look around and probably ended up with a Kioti 2610,,, geared, the way that a tractor is supposed to be.

I have the exact opposite viewpoint from the poster above me. I mucked up my differential lock and will probably take it to the dealer because they have worked on these before, whereas an independent will be learning as he goes... on my dime.

/ Importance of dealer proximity #8  
1)My dealer was 1 1/2 hour away.
2) Never. My tractor (Kioti DK 35) has never been back to the dealer in the 19 years I've owned it. I buy any part or filters online.

/ Importance of dealer proximity #9  
For most folks it's not an issue, most brand name parts can be ordered online and shipped. Kubota would be my first pick since you don't have JD listed.
My nearest Kubota dealer is 30 min away, My JD dealer is 15 min way. And I've known those guys for years.

JD filters are cheaper than my local parts stores too, Yes it's hard to believe but I checked a few years ago. I use JD, CAT, or kubota HYD fluid. I got a good deal on some CAT advanced HYD fluid, so that's what is in my 12/12 tractor right now. I don't mix them either.

/ Importance of dealer proximity #10  
1) Both about 60 miles away.

2) Branson for 50 hour service. Kioti never.

Kioti dealer not that great so most of the time I do order parts online. Branson dealer is wonderful so will buy as much from them as I can. I think having a good dealer is more important for warranty issues on new tractors.