implement limits

/ implement limits #1  

SI2305

Gold Member
Hello All,

This post is about a crazy sized implement for myself now, but perhaps one in a distant future buy. I have looked at specs for grader blades for all different manufacturers. In my mind, someday I own a JD4720 cab but can only get a LandPride (I just like LandPride implements) in the RTB 35 category. An RTB 40 is even better as it can get as long as 9 feet which would be nice if clearing snow--something the RB does wonderfully. Even if I were by some miracle to acquire a JD3520, It still would be spec'd so as to be just unable to run the 3520. I will admit that I have neither of these tractors now but just might plan on one day. I would love to make use of hydraulic angling, offsetting and tilting available on these models which I would use for clearing snow and finishing gravel on our 450' driveway.

Is PTO HP all that dramatically important for these blades? The specs seen to work for the tractors listed here. Both tractors have the lift capacity, and I could not imagine that the hydraulics could possibly suck up all that much fluid capacity. Is this just being marketed to encourage further tractor purchase.

On a slightly different note, I would love to acquire a flail mower--55" would be perfect, but again, all the literature states that my 18PTO HP just isn't enough. How can 18 PTO work for a tiller in hard clay but not in a similarly sized flail mower that is simply cutting far softer grass? I do of course know that I would need to slow down if I heard the engine bogging, but this is what I do in any configuration.

I would love to know anyone else's thoughts about implement limitations. I guess I would break it into 3 categories when using "oversized" implements:

1) Use them like normal, they have been spec'd too high to encourage larger tractor purchase

2) Use them like normal but with a little more caution as they are taxing the abilities of the machine--of course "go slow" if you think you are getting in over your head

3) Don't use--they are spec'd properly and your tractor is too small, shoulda gone higher

Please let me know you thoughts,

SI 2305

/ implement limits #2  
before you look for tractors, figure out what size implements you need to do you're jobs, in the time you want to do them. after that, look for tractors that will handle them.

/ implement limits #3  
Those PTO HP recommendations on the manufacturers' websites are just that...recommendations. If the implement is rated and setup for the same category as the tractor...then it's really up to the judgement of the buyer.
The manufacturer has no control over how buyers use their products but they do want satisfied customers who come back.
If, for example, a rear blade was rated for 35 PTO HP, and the user has 25 PTO HP...that blade might work fine for snow removal and lighter grading work. But if the user wants to do heavier grader work...well, his tractor may not have the power (and weight/traction!!!) to accomplish the job.
A better example is a PTO powered chipper rated for that 35 PTO HP tractor. The lower PTO HP tractor will run the chipper, but using the chipper to it's rated capacity (6" for example) may bog the tractor down considerably....so the rated capacity of the chipper may not be possible with a lower PTO HP.
So, the manufacturer recommends a PTO HP that will drive or operate the implement to it's design capacity.

So, the specs give a user part of the story...but the user also has to use their judgement and experience (or experiences of others) to determine if an implement is a good fit for a given tractor.

So
2) Use them like normal but with a little more caution as they are taxing the abilities of the machine--of course "go slow" if you think you are getting in over your head
This would be your best answer...IMHO, of course.

/ implement limits #4  
It appears that you own a JD 2305 at the moment. Maybe I misunderstood your question but it appeared to me you want to purchase a RBT series blade that you can use not only on your current tractor but on a future larger tractor as well.

I do not know the 3 point lift capabilty of that tractor but would question if you could lift a RBT 40 series with out almost taking your front end off the ground. I have no doubt you could drag the blade in a 4 wheel drive mode on flat ground if you did not take more than a very, very small bite with the blade but holding it up on the three point to prevent taking too much of a bite might lighten the front end and effect your steering. Also how many rear hydraulic spool valves do you have? You mentioned the offset tilt and angle hydraulic capability but without the control to run them you have nothing useful.

Have you actually seen a RBT 40108 or just looked at the specs? If I read your post and understood it correctly your tractor is 18 hp, the spec on that series RBT, if my memory is correct, is for more than 3 times your HP. (65 hp) The unit is big.

/ implement limits #5  
I wonder if you may change your mind about the 35 and especially the 40 after you get a price for them. Adding hydraulic functions to a blade is expensive.

Even a 6 foot blade is too much for a 2305. I have a 6 foot blade on my 2305 but the only reason it works for me is because I also have a 47 snow blower in the front clearing a path for it.

/ implement limits #6  
SI2305
Dreaming is good. Good comments so far on the blade ideas.

Did you get the leaves picked up with the invention you were working on?
And hope the back and the pneumonia is better now too.

/ implement limits #7  
Some of the information in this file may help with sizing implements and tractors for the task(s) at hand. Good information regarding horsepower, drawbar horsepower and pto horsepower. Yes, it is directed at farming; but, alas, may be relevant in many aspects.

Joe

Attachments

• farm tractor.pdf
    110.4 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
   / implement limits #8  
I think that Roy Jackson provided a good analogy in regards to the function ability and capabilities of tractors versus implements. Just my opinion. Best of Luck in your selection.

/ implement limits #9  
I'm inclined to say that the 3pt cap. for the 4720 is just under 2500 lbs. I have 800 lbs on mine regularly and the loader balances it just fine. Times that by 3 and I don't know...

/ implement limits #10  
Why are you against JD/Frontier implements? That way you can get iMatch and hook up and go. All attachments are very similar and wouldn't see a clear alternative over one another.