I'm not proud of what I've done, but I'm happy

/ I'm not proud of what I've done, but I'm happy #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
The Hurlimann Prince was having some "bipolar" considerations in regard to if it was willing to run or not.
Some times it would not start, sometimes it would just shut down after running for hours, and then not start! ;-)
Fickle?
The issue was associated with the fuel cut off controller and fuel cut off solenoid. It may be just just a poor connection somewhere, but Investigation and logical thinking pinned the fault on the control module. A failing capacitor is my guess.

A fine member of TBN (also a SL&H-DF dealer) was so helpful in identifying the correct module replacement. I'm sure it would be the correct solution to just replace it. But the cost! Near $600 for a block of plastic about the size of a deck of cards with a few wires dangling off. I just could not! ;-)

So, I grabbed a length of copper coated steel filler rod from the welding supplies. Bent up a "Z" on one end and poked the other end through a hole in the fire wall that puts the wire easily to hand. The Z went through the hole in the manual fuel shut off lever. The opposite end, adjacent to the instrument cowl, was bent in a loop, and held in position with a zip tie.

A pull on the wire cuts fuel and the engine dies just like that. I do need to turn the key to the off position, But I can remember.... most times ;-)

So instead of spending $600 on an electro-magic black box, I spent 35 cents and went "retro". Ahh The good old days! ;-)

/ I'm not proud of what I've done, but I'm happy #2  
Nothing wrong with that... you'd fit right in with my buddy The Beeman, we are proud of you!

/ I'm not proud of what I've done, but I'm happy #3  
Good 'work around' and you are 500 or so bux in the black.

/ I'm not proud of what I've done, but I'm happy #4  
This is the first I have heard of that brand of tractor, I did have to google it lol.

That would be rough to shell out $600 for a solenoid but as long as you can cut the fuel to shut her down, all is good I guess.

Pics or it didn't happen

/ I'm not proud of what I've done, but I'm happy #5  
Yep. for that kind of money, I'd be proud of what I'd done.

/ I'm not proud of what I've done, but I'm happy #6  
Sounds good to me! I ran new wires with switches bypassing the old electronics on my mower to operate the starter and blade engagement. Nothing wrong with improvising to save a few (or in this case several) dollars! :thumbsup:

/ I'm not proud of what I've done, but I'm happy #7  
That's why I hate all that electronic crapola guys on this site brag about all the time!

Why you'd think they were born without hands or something?? lol

Good job on the fix!

SR

/ I'm not proud of what I've done, but I'm happy #8  
That's why I hate all that electronic crapola guys on this site brag about all the time!

Good job on the fix!

SR
Exact same reason I bought a 1000 hour Ford 1920, and refurbished it.
My total cost was more than I had estimated, but....It is a simple 4 cyl. Shibaura, has NO electronics, NO plastic parts, and it will never need to see "the dealer".

/ I'm not proud of what I've done, but I'm happy #9  

Good job on the fix!

SR

All the reason why you buy an extended warranty if and when you can. My 310R is 5 years old and the JD "auto pilot" still works like a *****!!! I don't miss row markers at all! :cool:

/ I'm not proud of what I've done, but I'm happy #10  
NO one warr's any tractor as long as I keep them, and when they get old, that's when the crapola REALLY becomes a problem!!

SR