IH 46 Knotter not releasing

/ IH 46 Knotter not releasing #1  

grovestead

Tractor
John Deere 3020
Caveat, I'm very new to this. I have baled about 400 bales in total over the past 2 years. I continue to have problems with the inside knotter on my IH 46 baler. About every 6-10th bale, the inside string breaks and when I check it out its almost always the same problem: multiple knots at the billhooks. I have to use a needle nose to pull out the knots and rethread the needle. Then it works again for several bales.

I am continuing to dial in settings like string tension, and polishing the billhooks. But its very hard to "test" my repairs because I have to wait for another baling to try it out.

Any thoughts about multiple knots or the inside billhooks not releasing?

Thanks!

/ IH 46 Knotter not releasing #2  
I will suggest that the wiper arm scraper is worn enough to miss a billhook release. Usually an easy fix: The arm is malleable steel so you can simply bend it. The book calls for the wiper to actually scrape the billhook. I use two Crescent wrenches to get this done. One on the arm flat and the other on the first wrenche's blade. This step is actually where the knot is completed. While the knotter is flipped up to inspect it, jiggle the wiper arm to feel if the shaft bearings are worn out. Maybe that's why you get a few good ones and then, boom.

/ IH 46 Knotter not releasing
I will suggest that the wiper arm scraper is worn enough to miss a billhook release. Usually an easy fix: The arm is malleable steel so you can simply bend it. The book calls for the wiper to actually scrape the billhook. I use two Crescent wrenches to get this done. One on the arm flat and the other on the first wrenche's blade. This step is actually where the knot is completed. While the knotter is flipped up to inspect it, jiggle the wiper arm to feel if the shaft bearings are worn out. Maybe that's why you get a few good ones and then, boom.

Thanks.

Could someone walk me through flipping open the knotter unit? I've seen it up on videos but don't know how to do it.

/ IH 46 Knotter not releasing #4  
Post a picture of the knotter frame taken from the back.

/ IH 46 Knotter not releasing #5  

signal-attachment-2020-05-29-102143.jpeg

An update on this: I rotate the flywheel manually and noticed the inside billhook turns slightly ahead of the outside billhook. This means it rotates, opens, shuts just slightly ahead of the other one. At PTO speed the difference would be almost nil, but still it is a difference between the two and it might account for having knot-releasing issues only with the inside billhook.

I have no idea how to adjust this.

Thanks,

/ IH 46 Knotter not releasing #9  
The billhooks start to turn when a special gear with only a few teeth on it starts to turn at the end of the knotter cycle. If there is lash or a broken tooth, one will be late.

But, you say it only occasionally misses a tie, so focus on the wiper arm swiping the knot off the billhook first.

Watch this video first. Small Square Baler Knotter - YouTube

Then roll the input over by hand and watch the tying operation on yours. I suggest you empty the baler of hay completely first. Pay attention to the wiper arm movement. stop the input when the wiper is in the middle of the billhook.

On most knotters, there is a frame which flips up for service when you remove a bolt. As you watch the movements on you baler, pay attention to BOTH knotters. with the goal being to duplicate the good one's actions on the bad ones.

There are quite a few IH baler fixing videos on youtube, too.

The billhooks start to turn when a special gear with only a few teeth on it starts to turn at the end of the knotter cycle. If there is lash or a broken tooth, one will be late.

But, you say it only occasionally misses a tie, so focus on the wiper arm swiping the knot off the billhook first.

Watch this video first. Small Square Baler Knotter - YouTube

Then roll the input over by hand and watch the tying operation on yours. I suggest you empty the baler of hay completely first. Pay attention to the wiper arm movement. stop the input when the wiper is in the middle of the billhook.

On most knotters, there is a frame which flips up for service when you remove a bolt. As you watch the movements on you baler, pay attention to BOTH knotters. with the goal being to duplicate the good one's actions on the bad ones.

There are quite a few IH baler fixing videos on youtube, too.

Thank you for the info .. However, I don't see anything that resembles a wiper arm on either side -- the bill hook rotates 360 degrees while open which must be the "release" mechanism. I read on other forums that the McCormick/IH balers do not have wiper arms like the JD.