IH 444 Good Bad Ugly?

/ IH 444 Good Bad Ugly? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Dad is looking at getting something slightly more modern than his 8n. Something that will make a good bushhog tractor.

General requirements:
Power steering
Live hydraulics
live or independent PTO
40ish HP
Lighter weight smaller platform lower COG. IE: Not a rowcrop with 38" rears and heavy platform like some of the 40-50HP tractors of the era.

A ford 2000-3000 or MF 235,240 etc would be ideal. But those usually go for more money than he wants to spend.

There is a 444 for sale now. Seems like a good deal. Its an early version, built in KY. HAvent looked at it yet, and the guy didnt know a whole lot, but "thinks" it has power steering. It has the C153 gas motor, and 1800hrs. Newer rears. HE said engine sometimes has a mis and sputters. Sounds like a good tune up is in order.

Anything to watch out for? Parts readily available? Whats the PTO configuration on these?

Any info is appreciated.

/ IH 444 Good Bad Ugly? #2  
LD1,

Pops had one ... I used to use it to bushhog about 8 acres ... in fact, it was our first "riding mower" ... we used it for the front lawn as well (3 acres ?), before we got the Cub Cadet. Pulled a double bottom plow and 6' IH double disc harrow ... also had a 7' IH rear blade (with hydraulic angle !) that we used to clear snow off the driveway.

Ours was gas and had power steering, draft control, and a set of rear remotes. It had a 2 stage clutch ... first stage took it out of gear and if you pushed it all the way down the PTO disengaged. 4F/1R and Hi/Lo ranges.

Was pretty reliable as I recall ... think the fuel pump was replaced at one point, plus normal tune-up stuff (points, condenser)

I dropped the oil pan on it at around 1800 (2800 ?) hours to repaint it ... could still see the cross hatching on the cylinder walls. Inside of the engine (non-machined, cast surfaces) was painted red :D

Next door neighbor has it now.

/ IH 444 Good Bad Ugly? #3  
The C-153 is a great engine, but non-sleeved. So if a major OH is ever needed, the cylinders will need bored. Pistons come in .010 increments, up to .040 max.