If you see a Pony Grader for sale - Buy It!

/ If you see a Pony Grader for sale - Buy It!
They really are a simple but functional design. What prices do they fetch where you are?

/ If you see a Pony Grader for sale - Buy It! #13  
I found one it is 7k....

/ If you see a Pony Grader for sale - Buy It! #14  
looks like you could probably make a frankengrader out of a rear blade without too much effort?
Most of the better rear blades offer optional guide wheels that can make it similar to the grader.

/ If you see a Pony Grader for sale - Buy It! #16  
Nice grader. Especially since it appears complete and still working.
Good frend of mine has a scrap yard. He also will come to your site and load up old iron. He called me one day and said you might wanna come over here. He was 2 miles from my farm. This grader was sitting in a brushed over fencerow. I wnet home and got my tractor. When I got back over there he had it out in the open. I hooked on and pulled it home. I Google searched the machine and got Cat's manufactured weight. Paid him scrap price for it. $400 if I remember correctly.

It has an honored parking spot by the barn.

20221116_121547.jpg

/ If you see a Pony Grader for sale - Buy It! #17  
Good frend of mine has a scrap yard. He also will come to your site and load up old iron. He called me one day and said you might wanna come over here. He was 2 miles from my farm. This grader was sitting in a brushed over fencerow. I wnet home and got my tractor. When I got back over there he had it out in the open. I hooked on and pulled it home. I Google searched the machine and got Cat's manufactured weight. Paid him scrap price for it. $400 if I remember correctly.

It has an honored parking spot by the barn.

View attachment 794628
A good find indeed.

/ If you see a Pony Grader for sale - Buy It! #18  
Is that a working payphone I see? Interesting placement.

/ If you see a Pony Grader for sale - Buy It! #19  
Most of the better rear blades offer optional guide wheels that can make it similar to the grader.
I fabed a mount on the back of the 3PH blade to use the gauge wheels from my 3PH mower - not quite the same as a pony grader but worked much better than the unmodified blade.

/ If you see a Pony Grader for sale - Buy It! #20  
I used to use a grader just like this one for our dirt road. Neighbors said I did a better job than the Road Commission. But then they started complaining when drivers of all ages drove as fast as they could, kicking up dirt, splashing dog walkers, scaring kids and bike riders, running horseback riders off the road, failing to round a curve, hitting mailboxes, killing the roadside apple trees, and garbage containers. All my fault. So now I've taken up a new hobby: collecting wheel & axle covers. I sell them for $40. I shine them up, of course....
Dang, isn't that the truth. A grader doesn't work for us as the trail was built for logging access many, many moons before and has bunches of large rocks and boulders throughout that will snag a blade. And I learned in short order to NEVER cut into the road bed but if anything to add material on top and to smooth it by backdragging. And my fill source is 50% shale, 25% clay and 25% larger stones.

Also the roughness is an asset. It forces people to go slow in their rigs. But there are those with ATVs and motorcycles that have to do their cookies and power slides and can really ruin a day's' work. So I don't do anything to my section of the trail. But I did put up a sign saying "Please Use Four Wheel Drive". I have also attached skid plates, plastic under bumper stuff and other plastic jewelry to the tree with the sign. Still, people with their low slung front wheel drive cars insist on taking the train leaving broken pieces scattered behind them. This winter was a rare one as I didn't get anyone stuck sideways asking for a pull out.