Idle

/ Idle #1  

KuboB1200

Calling all diesel experts,

I have a B 2100 that's developed a small issue that I'd like to run by you. The tractor starts and runs great, but when I bring the tractor back to idle, the engine drops about 100 RPM two to three times before settling in at 1000 RPM.

It almost sounds like load is hitting the engine or maybe a valve is cycling, then, after two or three cycles (drops in RPM) about 5 seconds apart, idling stabilizes.

Any ideas what may be causing this? The tractor will do this without any pumps engaged, loader and three point in float (or not), tranny in neutral, no load on anything.

Throttle ups are normal (stable), and power output is fine.

Kubo

/ Idle #2  
1. plugged suction strainer in fuel tank, all it takes is one leaf.
a. fuel filters
2. water in fuel
3. worn injection pump

my thoughts anyway

/ Idle #3  
1. plugged suction strainer in fuel tank, all it takes is one leaf.
a. fuel filters
2. water in fuel
3. worn injection pump

my thoughts anyway

My thoughts too. It is likely a fuel problem, but could be a injection pump problem. Start with the cheap and simple. Make sure you have clean fuel, change the filter(s) and purge the fuel lines just to be sure.

/ Idle #4  
Sounds like it could be a dirty injector. I would run it pretty hard under a load to try to burn the carbon off of the injector. Sometimes that will work extended idling and using the engine just putting around will carbon it up. Just a thought

/ Idle
Fuel filter almost completely plugged. It's so bad the filter has caved in, in the middle, and is in the shape of an hour glass. I guess there was enough filter left to pass enough fuel at throttle up. Had a little bit of water, too.

I couldn't see the filter clearly enough be viewing it through the glass bowl to see that it had been distorted. Looks to be plugged with some black fibrous material, kinda in the form of flakes.

The filter was changed less than a year ago as part of routine maintenace and last year's filter was spotless. I've been getting my fuel at a local truck stop since I figure it'd be the freshest around and I normally run Howes, but didn't add any on this last tank.

My concern is that my transfer container has a mesh strainer that certainly wouldn't allow these sized flakes to pass. Any suggestions on their source?

Kubo

/ Idle
You know, I think I'm just a bit giddy. After looking, it looks like the filter is full of "normal" debris.

I've been using the little tractor in the worst possible conditions, hot, dirty brush hogging my pond dam and 4' weeds, etc., and it's been off canter, mowing up one side and down the other, really stirring things up. I bet everything in the tank has been down that fuel line.

I opened the valve and fuel flows freely to the filter assembly. I think this is simply the result of some pretty tough work in nasty conditions.

Kubo

/ Idle #7  
You know, I think I'm just a bit giddy. After looking, it looks like the filter is full of "normal" debris.

I've been using the little tractor in the worst possible conditions, hot, dirty brush hogging my pond dam and 4' weeds, etc., and it's been off canter, mowing up one side and down the other, really stirring things up. I bet everything in the tank has been down that fuel line.

I opened the valve and fuel flows freely to the filter assembly. I think this is simply the result of some pretty tough work in nasty conditions.

Kubo

Glad you found the problem but the fuel tank should not get dirt in it unless it is introduced to it. A good tank cleaning and then figure out where the dirt is getting in would be in order:thumbsup:

/ Idle #8  
Glad you found the problem and it always pays to check the simple things first.