Identify tree via bark?

/ Identify tree via bark? #11  
Nice quality lumber trees and the oaks are suited for veneer logs and valuable. I would contact a forester, not a logger, they are two different strokes. The forester can tell you if they can be sold for lumber. They will remove the trees and deliver them to the best mills. Take the money and go buy the lumber needed and not deal with curing the boards etc.... won't cost anything to check it out.
The forester is honest and looks out for the land owner. Your DNR might be able to help you out and send you in the right direction.
Where I live there are very limited application where we can uses rough lumber for construction it need to be graded and stamp... you might want to check that out before starting this project... I don't see any problem for the green house its only a green house but the garages could be a issue.

With a sawmill (roughs lumber) you can't get to exact uniforms dimensions there will always be variations. Constructing a structure with half rough lumber and half process lumber is very challenging. So unless you have a table saw, a planner and a jointer and processes every single piece I would say doing a garage is less then ideal. But I don't see any problem with a green house.
The hardwood species being discussed have far more value than framing lumber. Cabinets, furniture, and other high value projects come to mind. Buy kiln dried and planed dimensional softwood lumber for framing and save the hardwoods for a better use.

/ Identify tree via bark? #12  
That is if they are usable trees most of the oak that blow down around here have bad spots inside and are good for firewood. About half of what the local loggers drop sits right where they cut down to rot. Both red and white oak is affect here, more ref than white.

/ Identify tree via bark? #13  
The hardwood species being discussed have far more value than framing lumber. Cabinets, furniture, and other high value projects come to mind. Buy kiln dried and planed dimensional softwood lumber for framing and save the hardwoods for a better use.
Yeah. As noted upthread, oak is very hard and you'd need to pre-drill holes for any nails. Not really suited for framing lumber (and kind of a waste too).
That is if they are usable trees most of the oak that blow down around here have bad spots inside and are good for firewood. About half of what the local loggers drop sits right where they cut down to rot. Both red and white oak is affect here, more ref than white.
I had my previous property logged off in the 90s. Given the number of oaks (mostly red) I figured I'd do pretty well financially but most of them were hollow, or at least had some heartwood rot. Well, I got a lot of firewood out of it...

Nice thing with oak is it smells so nice when you cut it!!

/ Identify tree via bark? #14  
I built a tractor shed using oak from the local sawmill. The oak was still green so I could shoot framing nails with my nailer. It was cut to a true 2x4 dimension but didn't shrink much and didn't warp either because the framing help hold it all straight. It was heavy material and tough on my saw to cut.

Once oak seasons, it becomes so hard that you might have to predrill holes to nail or screw it together.

If there is any poplar to be cut, poplar was the millwork wood of choice for decades because it has a good grain, holds paint well and is easy to mill. But it got expensive relative to the match stick wood they sell today that has to be finger jointed together to make a long enough piece of material to actually be useful.

Compared to what you'd pay a box store, there could be a lot of good useable lumber if you can find someone with a portable sawmill to saw it for you. I doubt you could afford to buy that much oak or poplar at the store.

But you want to get it milled before it goes bad and then you need to store it by stickering it so air can flow around the pieces.

/ Identify tree via bark? #16  
My buddy next door just had his 160 acres logged the white oak is at an all time high because of wine and whisky barrel staves, The red oak was not worth cutting, Even though they charge a fortune for ared oak board in the stores.

/ Identify tree via bark? #17  
I would check with a local saw mill and ask what he would give you for them. Then find a portable saw mill and price it that way. When I had lumber cut years ago I wanted it for the lumber. If I was thinking of building now I would sell the log's and buy the lumber I wanted.
Offer to drag them out so you don't have a mess in your woods.

/ Identify tree via bark? #18  
As a forester who has worked my entire career in western conifer forests, I could certainly be wrong, but I’m going to say that the first photo is an oak or hickory species, and the last photo is a poplar species.

/ Identify tree via bark?
I had not thought of asking a forrester. Looked up our local guy and the listing says there is one here in town. So if he actually lives in town (verses his office being located there) he's roughly 10 miles away. I'm going to try to call him tomorrow.