Identify this Field Cultivator if You Can.

/ Identify this Field Cultivator if You Can. #1  

Rford

Gold Member
Tractor
1966 Ford 2000 Diesel 8sp
I picked up a f6 foot field cultivator the other day for my food plots. What a great tool. I've used a 3pt tiller originally so the ground is broken up but the field cultivator digs a bit deeper and is faster. It also gathers up great bunches of tall weeds on patches I've let go for a couple of years...like a rake. I can see this is going to be my favorite tool. When it hits a rock the tines pop up and reset. Good for me as I find rocks easily.

It needs a few springs, which I've found on a craiglist ad from Fayetteville, Arkansas. If you need some springs, this guy bought a bunch of them and they are NOS and appear to be the correct length and size.

I thought this was a Ford or Dearborn, maybe a Ferguson, from the 40s or later. Similar to the current versions by Dirt Dog, Everything Attachments, and others. But I don't think it is any of those. The only picture I've located is one posted by Ken Sweet a few years ago on this very website that he had for sale at the time. I copied and posted his picture. His is a lot bluer than mine. The key difference to the Fords, etc. on is the way the 3pt bracket is attached to the angle iron frames. I contacted Ken but he didn't know the make or model. He's pretty knowledgeable. Had that picture not been available I'd have thought it was perhaps homemade or altered.

It looks like a similar design to many others but its just not quite a fit. I don't think its been cut down or altered as the bolts I've taken off look like they are 60 plus years' old. I've looked at old ads, parts books, and a zillon pictures but the only one just like it was Kens. Its not critical that I know what it is, as there wouldn't be any original parts available anyway.

Attachments

• field cultivator (2).jpg
    field cultivator (2).jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 545
   / Identify this Field Cultivator if You Can. #2  
   / Identify this Field Cultivator if You Can. #3  
Perhaps Fred Cain? They're out of KY, as is Ken Sweet, so would make sense it would be on his lot. I seem them at auctions frequently here, too. Very similar.

/ Identify this Field Cultivator if You Can.
Nice write up on the uses and versatility. I too am thinking about sweeps to replace my points. This one I have is quite old and it is a near replica of the Fred Cain unit which is a near replica of the Ferguson/Ford. Slight differences in manufacture, same end result. These are a big deal overseas, it seems. I bet that the Fred Cain parts would match pretty close.

/ Identify this Field Cultivator if You Can. #5  
I picked up a f6 foot field cultivator the other day for my food plots. What a great tool. I've used a 3pt tiller originally so the ground is broken up but the field cultivator digs a bit deeper and is faster. It also gathers up great bunches of tall weeds on patches I've let go for a couple of years...like a rake. I can see this is going to be my favorite tool. When it hits a rock the tines pop up and reset. Good for me as I find rocks easily.

It needs a few springs, which I've found on a craiglist ad from Fayetteville, Arkansas. If you need some springs, this guy bought a bunch of them and they are NOS and appear to be the correct length and size.

I thought this was a Ford or Dearborn, maybe a Ferguson, from the 40s or later. Similar to the current versions by Dirt Dog, Everything Attachments, and others. But I don't think it is any of those. The only picture I've located is one posted by Ken Sweet a few years ago on this very website that he had for sale at the time. I copied and posted his picture. His is a lot bluer than mine. The key difference to the Fords, etc. on is the way the 3pt bracket is attached to the angle iron frames. I contacted Ken but he didn't know the make or model. He's pretty knowledgeable. Had that picture not been available I'd have thought it was perhaps homemade or altered.

It looks like a similar design to many others but its just not quite a fit. I don't think its been cut down or altered as the bolts I've taken off look like they are 60 plus years' old. I've looked at old ads, parts books, and a zillon pictures but the only one just like it was Kens. Its not critical that I know what it is, as there wouldn't be any original parts available anyway.

The back of the shank mounting angle iron is clipped off. The Fred Cain cultivators are cut straight. If I was forced to guess, I would say early King Kutter. Ken Sweet

/ Identify this Field Cultivator if You Can. #7  
Be aware that any 'sweeps' or anything that cuts the ground at any angle will result in subsurface compaction. You might want to check for any hardpan in the areas in which you use a field cultivator, and if found, break it up with a subsoiler.

This is an excellent article on the effects of hardpan and the used of subsoilers. As the article shows... there is much more to them than just tearing a line deep in the ground. Depth of hardpan vs depth of subsoiler is critical, and it doesn't simply mean 'below it'. To far below can result in MORE compaction. Also, the types of rippers, etc are critical for good results. I think this article is fascinating in the depth of coverage they went to, in order to understand just what works and why.

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf08342828/pdf08342828dpi72.pdf

Subsoiling.JPG

/ Identify this Field Cultivator if You Can. #8  
The implements discussed in above article are PRIMARY TILLAGE implements requiring heavy, powerful tractors to pull. The article suggests these primary tillage subsoilers will ameliorate, not cause, soil compaction in forests:
"Soils can become deeply compacted in areas tracked by heavy equipment during timber harvesting, firefighting, fuel reduction, cultivation, or other forest management operations." "Subsoilers can break up compacted
layers without destroying surface vegetation or mixing soil layers."

I disagree that there s a compaction issue with SECONDARY TILLAGE implements discussed in this thread in garden or field conditions.

Orientation of points on spring protected Field Cultivatos is horizontal.

Shovels on Cultivators are at about a 45 degree angle. Shovels skive dirt upward when spring tine pressure is released.

Other than tines on both implements, points on Field Cultivators and shovels on Cultivators no part of the implement contacts the ground.

There is little or no down pressure, therefore little or no soil compaction.

Total weight of my Dirt Dog (brand) five-tine Field Cultivator is 284 pounds. The tines are 1/2" in width. Not comparable to the massive implements discussed in your interesting article, however the objective of both the article implements and the Dirt Dog is to lighten soil.

Cultivators disrupt surface vegetation, killing weeds in the process.

Expected Results After Subsoiling​
"The ground should be lifted slightly and remain relatively even behind the subsoiler, without major disruption of surface residues and plants. No more than a little subsoil and a few rocks should be pulled to the surface."

Attachments

• DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 666
Last edited:
   / Identify this Field Cultivator if You Can. #10  
The implements discussed in above article are PRIMARY TILLAGE implements requiring heavy, powerful tractors to pull. The article suggests these primary tillage subsoilers will ameliorate, not cause, soil compaction in forests:
"Soils can become deeply compacted in areas tracked by heavy equipment during timber harvesting, firefighting, fuel reduction, cultivation, or other forest management operations." "Subsoilers can break up compacted
layers without destroying surface vegetation or mixing soil layers."

I disagree that there s a compaction issue with SECONDARY TILLAGE implements discussed in this thread in garden or field conditions.

Orientation of points on spring protected Field Cultivatos is horizontal.

Shovels on Cultivators are at about a 45 degree angle. Shovels skive dirt upward when spring tine pressure is released.

Other than tines on both implements, points on Field Cultivators and shovels on Cultivators no part of the implement contacts the ground.

There is little or no down pressure, therefore little or no soil compaction.

Total weight of my Dirt Dog (brand) seven-tine Field Cultivator is 284 pounds. The tines are 1/2" in width. Not comparable to the massive implements discussed in your interesting article, however the objective of both the article implements and the Dirt Dog is to lighten soil.

Cultivators are going to disrupt surface vegetation, hopefully killing weeds in the process.

Expected Results After Subsoiling​
"The ground should be lifted slightly and remain relatively even behind the subsoiler, without major disruption of surface residues and plants. No more than a little subsoil and a few rocks should be pulled to the surface."

As described above: "Total weight of my Dirt Dog (brand) seven-tine Field Cultivator is 284 pounds."

A Florida recount might be appropriate.
Your Dirt Dog photo shows only FIVE "TINES" (shanks?).
The weight of the Dirt Dog with 5 "tines" IS.... 284 pounds.
The weight of the Dirt Dog with 7 "tines" = 367 pounds.