Ice storm 2013 in Northern NY

/ Ice storm 2013 in Northern NY #1  

nybirdman

Tractor
Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT
Well we have lucked out so far,have not lost power.30,000 just south of us without.We have about 1-1/4" of ice on top of a couple inches of snow.Just spent a couple hours plowing.....unreal.7000lb tractor and a 8ft.front blade and couldn't push it.Only way I could move snow/ice was to break it up with the weight of the tractor and rear blade pulling.Quite a mess.
My pheasant pens are still up,lots of weight with this ice.The top net is like chain link fence right now.Got the birds fed yesterday so they are good for five days or so.

/ Ice storm 2013 in Northern NY #2  
May the power stay on and warmer weather arrives for you folks.

/ Ice storm 2013 in Northern NY #3  
Well we have lucked out so far,have not lost power.30,000 just south of us without.We have about 1-1/4" of ice on top of a couple inches of snow.Just spent a couple hours plowing.....unreal.7000lb tractor and a 8ft.front blade and couldn't push it.Only way I could move snow/ice was to break it up with the weight of the tractor and rear blade pulling.Quite a mess. My pheasant pens are still up,lots of weight with this ice.The top net is like chain link fence right now.Got the birds fed yesterday so they are good for five days or so.

Blowing it away is the way to go!

Almost like blowing sand; quite strange

/ Ice storm 2013 in Northern NY #4  
Its +61F degrees here in Vermont today! :shocked:

/ Ice storm 2013 in Northern NY #5  
Here are my poor trees in northern VT

Attachments

• image-74917757.jpg
    image-74917757.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 338
   / Ice storm 2013 in Northern NY #6  
About 1/4 inch between buffalo and rochester here

/ Ice storm 2013 in Northern NY #7  
I am 20-30 miles north of the NY border and it was mostly a snow event up here, a whole foot of it on top of the 1 1/2 already on the ground. Its somewhat crusty as we had a brief period of ice and sleet before it all tapered off.

Sadly the snow is too deep to go logging...gonna be a looong winter.

Hoping you dont lose power and your maple trees make it out OK

/ Ice storm 2013 in Northern NY #8  
Rough ride in many parts of Ontario.

Toronto has about 250,000 people w/o power right now. Never a good time to be w/o power, but esp. this time of year.

Wet icy snow is a real PITA, until you get into a good sized blower.

Hoping everybody can stay warm. Safety first, clearing snow, many accidents happen under poor conditions like these.

Rgds, D.

/ Ice storm 2013 in Northern NY #9  
My pine trees gave up a lot of branches last night. If there's anything good to come of this, my new chipper will come in handy once the weather clears up.

Good luck to anyone who was hit hard by the ice.

/ Ice storm 2013 in Northern NY #10  
I am just north of Cornwall, Ont, across the river from Massena, NY and we have had some of everything but lightening. Been on the blower most of the day, good news is have not needed the generator yet.