Ice Station Zebra: My cold start procedure and a whole lot of snow blowing.

/ Ice Station Zebra: My cold start procedure and a whole lot of snow blowing. #1  

MinnesotaEric

Tractor
Kioti NX6010
I made a cold start procedure video.

/ Ice Station Zebra: My cold start procedure and a whole lot of snow blowing. #2  
Good video, Eric, informative and entertaining. Well done.

Could you provide more details about those hyd oil & fuel "pre-heaters" you used , such as make/model/where you get them?

On my DK 35, ( ECONOR 3pth Blower and a Horst HLA 2000-84 plow up front), I use two mag heaters, (one on each side of the oil pan), the in-line hose heater (provided with tractor) as well as a battery blanket. So far, no problems. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not but I warm my tractor up for a similar time but let the PTO turn while doing so, (in an effort to warm the hyd oil at same time).

Temro 8W Battery Warmer | Canadian Tire

ZeroStart™ Super Heat Magnet | Canadian Tire

Of course, now I see a Cab in my future as the open station thing is starting to wear on my after 10 years.

Thanks again.
Bob

/ Ice Station Zebra: My cold start procedure and a whole lot of snow blowing.
Good video, Eric, informative and entertaining. Well done.

Could you provide more details about those hyd oil & fuel "pre-heaters" you used , such as make/model/where you get them?

On my DK 35, ( ECONOR 3pth Blower and a Horst HLA 2000-84 plow up front), I use two mag heaters, (one on each side of the oil pan), the in-line hose heater (provided with tractor) as well as a battery blanket. So far, no problems. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not but I warm my tractor up for a similar time but let the PTO turn while doing so, (in an effort to warm the hyd oil at same time).

Temro 8W Battery Warmer | Canadian Tire

ZeroStart™ Super Heat Magnet | Canadian Tire

Of course, now I see a Cab in my future as the open station thing is starting to wear on my after 10 years.

Thanks again.
Bob

Bob,

Thank you for the feedback! Is the inline preheater used on your DK35 a 12v or a 120v heater?

On your suggestion, I've included descriptions and links to the preheaters I use on my tractor in the video description at YouTube. To save yourself and other TBNers from chasing over to YouTube, here is what I added to the description:

The Fuel Filter Preheater is a Wolverine 12" x 4" Model FH-100 Watt 120V and the heater seen in the video wrapped around my hydro filter is a 200 Watt Fuel Filter Wrap sized 6" x 11" sold out of Utah Biodiesel Supply. The 6"x11" just barely fits my hydro filter but these things come in different sizes.

Amazon.com: Wolverine Heaters - Model FH-1 -1 Watts - Fuel Filter Heater - 12 Volts: Automotive

Raw Power Fuel Filter Heaters - Keep your vehicle running in the cold! - Utah Biodiesel Supply

The Wolverine products come with a plug, the Utah Biodiesel Supply product must have a 120V plug added.

Speaking of cold oil, when I edited this video together, I edited out the section where I talked about hydro oil. Maybe I should have left it in? I'm using a J20C spec oil. Kioti specs J20C (10w20) as MobleFluid 424 and Napa specs it as their Premium Heavy Duty Tractor Hydraulic & Transmission Fluid which they sell in one gallon pails (NHF 85401), two gallon pails (85402), five gallon buckets (85405), as well as in bulk.

31263548944_92fe82f9c7_o.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ice Station Zebra: My cold start procedure and a whole lot of snow blowing. #4  
Great video. I didn't realize there were so many options for filter heaters. Do you use a block heater too?

/ Ice Station Zebra: My cold start procedure and a whole lot of snow blowing. #5  
In the video you forgot to put the screen back in the tank after checking the fuel. I'm sure you realized that later.

/ Ice Station Zebra: My cold start procedure and a whole lot of snow blowing. #6  
Bob,

Thank you for the feedback! Is the inline preheater used on your DK35 a 12v or a 120v heater?

Thanks, again, Eric

More great info. It must have taken some effort to muster all of this.

My heaters are all 120 Volt, I keep my DK in a Tent type shelter. There have been times when I had to heat the tent up with my kerosene fired heater/blower but not a regular occurrence. It has to be "really cold" to need this. I recently saw an " engine area blanket" for tractors that sit outside in the winter. I could put the DK in the garage and the wife's car in the tent... On second thought, maybe not.
Bob

Last edited:
In the video you forgot to put the screen back in the tank after checking the fuel. I'm sure you realized that later.

I was waiting for somebody to notice that! To run my iPhone and to make a good seal on my siphon hose, I wasn't wearing gloves and my hands started feeling like they were freezing up, but I wanted to finish the shot and so I forgot the fuel filler screen and on the cap went!

Thanks, again, Eric

More great info. It must have taken some effort to muster all of this.

My heaters are all 120 Volt, I keep my DK in a Tent type shelter. There have been times when I had to heat the tent up with my kerosene fired heater/blower but not a regular occurrence. It has to be "really cold" to need this. I recently saw an " engine area blanket" for tractors that sit outside in the winter. I could put the DK in the garage and the wife's car in the tent... On second thought, maybe not.
Bob

My vehicles all sit outside as the garages are filled with misc family possessions.

/ Ice Station Zebra: My cold start procedure and a whole lot of snow blowing. #9  
Sounds like you need a pole barn just for the tractor and accessories.

Great video. I didn't realize there were so many options for filter heaters. Do you use a block heater too?

Ford, I do have a block heater. I didn't use the footage from that part. My block heater was dealer installed and was, apparently a Bobcat block heater as Kioti didn't offer a block heater.