I woke up... stupid me

/ I woke up... stupid me #1  

Alien

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
I have a wireless broadband modem (Huawei) supplied by Optus and I also have a Skymesh Satellite service as well.
These are both sending WiFi to our 4 desktops,laptops and tablets throughout the home and to my workshop.
Lately we have experienced sudden loss of WiFi for what seemed like no reason.
I spent LOTS of time rebooting computers, modems, Sat unit etc and no luck. :(
Then it would be working again.... NOT because I fluked a cure.
I could sit and watch youtube for a couple of hours, get up and throw a frozen meal in the microwave, and by the time I got back to the computer the internet had dropped out.
Sometimes it would come back on fairly quickly and other times it might take 15 minutes.
Other times I could just select the Satellite wifi and it would be OK as it is located at the other end of the house. (but not always)
I was suspecting the wifi in my laptop to be playing up but that didn't explain why the tablets did the same. (Samsung Android and a iPad Pro)

Then I woke up....

I would be using the computer and then get up, throw a meal in the microwave, sit down at the computer and no internet.
Message was, No services available. (yet wifi symbol was OK)
Yep, it is the Bl**dy microwave that was causing the issue. I had forgotten that it was on 2.4 GhZ the same as our WiFi!
I felt stoooopid!

So if you are having unexplained dropouts, suspect your wife may have just popped a frozen meal in your microwave.

Incidentally, this is only since the microwave has had its' 3rd magnetron fitted in just a few months. I will be ringing the service agent and talking to them.

/ I woke up... stupid me #2  
Can you change to 5ghz, ours runs on both but have not had any problems, we are with dodo who use the optus network.
Avoid tel$tra unless you are feeling wealthy.

/ I woke up... stupid me #3  
I have a wireless broadband modem (Huawei) supplied by Optus and I also have a Skymesh Satellite service as well.
These are both sending WiFi to our 4 desktops,laptops and tablets throughout the home and to my workshop.
Lately we have experienced sudden loss of WiFi for what seemed like no reason.
I spent LOTS of time rebooting computers, modems, Sat unit etc and no luck. :(
Then it would be working again.... NOT because I fluked a cure.
I could sit and watch youtube for a couple of hours, get up and throw a frozen meal in the microwave, and by the time I got back to the computer the internet had dropped out.
Sometimes it would come back on fairly quickly and other times it might take 15 minutes.
Other times I could just select the Satellite wifi and it would be OK as it is located at the other end of the house. (but not always)
I was suspecting the wifi in my laptop to be playing up but that didn't explain why the tablets did the same. (Samsung Android and a iPad Pro)

Then I woke up....

I would be using the computer and then get up, throw a meal in the microwave, sit down at the computer and no internet.
Message was, No services available. (yet wifi symbol was OK)
Yep, it is the Bl**dy microwave that was causing the issue. I had forgotten that it was on 2.4 GhZ the same as our WiFi!
I felt stoooopid!

So if you are having unexplained dropouts, suspect your wife may have just popped a frozen meal in your microwave.

Incidentally, this is only since the microwave has had its' 3rd magnetron fitted in just a few months. I will be ringing the service agent and talking to them.

Never sit in the kitchen with your laptop when the cooking is happening. LOL.

/ I woke up... stupid me
Can you change to 5ghz, ours runs on both but have not had any problems, we are with dodo who use the optus network.
Avoid tel$tra unless you are feeling wealthy.

Not sure about that bunyip. I did think of it briefly but will have to explore how I can do that.

/ I woke up... stupid me #6  
YES, that is exactly what is happening. I bought my laptop in from the cold.

I would start to wonder how much leakage around the ferrite gasket that microwave box has. Yes they share the same frequency band, BUT microwaves are a sealed resonant cavity. Supposedly very low leakage of RF energy out of this box. I am suspecting your "box" leaks. and leaks a good deal. They all leak some, but I think yours leaks a LOT.

/ I woke up... stupid me #7  
I’m stuck on my wife throwing a frozen meal in the microwave!! Haha

Glad it’s solved and you are back in action!!

/ I woke up... stupid me
Well at least I know whats happening. Not solved as such. LOL.
I rang the service agents and they said mine was only the second case they had heard of and were a bit mystified. They suggested I ring LG customer service and talk to them.
I did just that and got some foreign woman that couldn't tell me any more than I already knew. That wifi and Microwaves are on the same frequency etc etc. I told her I already know that but why was it only doing it now after the last magnetron replacement and it didn't happen previously ???
She was useless and I told her I was totally unhappy with her answer and she had been no help at all, Goodbye.
I rang the service agent back and they are going to talk to the LG engineers next week and get back to me. Can't do any more except buy another brand as we have had 3 previous brands and none of them have ever had this problem.

/ I woke up... stupid me #9  
I would start to wonder how much leakage around the ferrite gasket that microwave box has. Yes they share the same frequency band, BUT microwaves are a sealed resonant cavity. Supposedly very low leakage of RF energy out of this box. I am suspecting your "box" leaks. and leaks a good deal. They all leak some, but I think yours leaks a LOT.

Considering the wattage of typical WiFi, wouldn't take much to interfere.

/ I woke up... stupid me #10  
Can you try connecting either to a different circuit to see if it is transmitting through the house wiring rrather than leaking.
RF can do some strange things.