I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer!

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #21  
Slope percent is rise over run times 100. If I remember my trigonometry correctly, this is the tangent of the angle in degrees, times 100. A 100 percent slope is 45 degrees...too scary for me to be operating my equipment.

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer!
sounds like a great project & that you're off to a good start. safety is top concern! best regards
Thanks! Im going nice and slow....and I'm finding hundreds of geodes as I dig. 20161008_150033.jpeg20170304_133547.jpeg

My impression is that the grades mentioned referred to the slope of the hillside, not the slope of the road.

Bruce
Yup! Doing my best to keep trail slope under 30°. Still major erosion control is needed with that. My driveway for my house and barns is 30°-35°....so is my front yard...my mower hydro screams at me....

With enough switchbacks I think it can be done.
Better pic of hill slope with flat horizon in background....i take alot of pics 20180218_140840.jpeg

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #24  
To be clear.... are you driving your tractor up and down a 45 degree slope, or cutting a road across a 45 degree hillside, where the road you are cutting is actually much less than 45 degrees?

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #25  
Thanks! Im going nice and slow....and I'm finding hundreds of geodes as I dig.View attachment 556605View attachment 556606

Neat! Save the geodes and find someone with a wet saw to cut them open cleanly. Polish the cuts and sell them on-line. My father did that for years in his spare time. He knew a guy in southern Indiana that would let you into his creekbed for $10 a day, all you could haul out! :laughing:

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #26  
I'd also be worried about starving the engine of oil at extreme angles. ;)

To be clear.... are you driving your tractor up and down a 45 degree slope, or cutting a road across a 45 degree hillside, where the road you are cutting is actually much less than 45 degrees?
I have about 50 ft of 35° I go up. Then it levels to under 10° for 100 ft or so. Then back to a 45° for another 50 ft straight up.

After that it is bench cuts into the sides of the slope. I havent figured out my 1st switchback.

I'd also be worried about starving the engine of oil at extreme angles. ;)
Yes...it favors being pointed down not up, backing up, and using the box blade....cutting the slope down. Going straight up, I sometimes get a burning smell....not always.

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #29  
I've been going up to the smoky mountians for about 20 years with some friends on motorcycle trips and we will usually rent a cabin for a week or so. Most of these cabins are up on a mountain because everyone wants a view and the only time that we ever see a road thats not all screwed up is when its been paved, and even those get washed out along the edges. The gravel helps you to get some traction when its wet but it washes out just like dirt on the steep sections, and you can see where their allways replacing it. All I can say is if you like playing with a tractor and you have the time, this may just be the perfect project for you. :thumbsup:

I've been going up to the smoky mountians for about 20 years with some friends on motorcycle trips and we will usually rent a cabin for a week or so. Most of these cabins are up on a mountain because everyone wants a view and the only time that we ever see a road thats not all screwed up is when its been paved, and even those get washed out along the edges. The gravel helps you to get some traction when its wet but it washes out just like dirt on the steep sections, and you can see where their allways replacing it. All I can say is if you like playing with a tractor and you have the time, this may just be the perfect project for you.
I love tractorin' !