I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer!

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer!
Well, that description right there says you probably shouldn't be going on that hill! :laughing:

Glad you are OK.
Thanks! I still feel safe working upwards in my gully on the north side trail. It's slow work...but I'll get there. I am definitely going to continue to knock the angle off the slope on the south ridge trail I just made by adding material to the base. I let my ego and the doubtful comments get the best of me. I'll continue to give updates despite all that....as I started this post to share in my fun and love of tractorin'!

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #133  
I知 guessing the OP can稚 measure slope. A tractor might climb a 45 degrees slope in the best traction conditions. That痴 assuming it doesn稚 suck oil and hydro lock or spin a bearing on the uphill side. Descending a 45 degrease slope in a controlled manner isn稚 happening either.

Yep. His lengthy description above doesn't describe productivity on his slope at all.

I often push the envelope and try something the tractor isn't capable of doing. And that's how I would describe it.

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #134  
Like I said previously. Watching this thread with great interest.
With over 40 personal years of tractor experience, ain’t no way i’de be fooling around in those conditions on a wheeled tractor.
An approbate sized bulldozer is another story.

B. John

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #135  
I was doing some roofing today on a 30 degree roof and thought of this thread. Hard enough to stand on 30 degrees let alone drive 45 on a tractor which is half again as much.

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #136  
I was doing some roofing today on a 30 degree roof and thought of this thread. Hard enough to stand on 30 degrees let alone drive 45 on a tractor which is half again as much.

I did not think your roof would be 30 degrees until at least January,,, or February,,, :confused2:
Will the shingles bond at 30 degrees, or do you have to worry about wind?? :confused:

Sorry, I could not resist,,, :laughing:

I mow a small area that is maybe 20 degrees,, if the grass is slightly damp,, I gotta use four wheel drive,,,

I did not think your roof would be 30 degrees until at least January,,, or February,,, :confused2:
Will the shingles bond at 30 degrees, or do you have to worry about wind?? :confused:

Sorry, I could not resist,,, :laughing:

I mow a small area that is maybe 20 degrees,, if the grass is slightly damp,, I gotta use four wheel drive,,,
I remember my 1st time mowing my yard when we moved in 2 years ago, I drove heading down hill over top of my old clipping...i couldn't brake or reverse....I just kept going downhill until I reached the road. 2 old ladies walking down the road hollered that I need to be more careful. My solution was Ag tires and only mowing upward on the steepest parts....but my Craftsman k46bt transmission ended up going bad climbing my yard every week in the summer and bush hogging the weeds on some of the accessible slopes. I then bought a Husky Gth52xls with electric locking diff that is awesome going up anything. I still liked the cut from my 11 yr old Craftsman though, so I bought a new trans and it runs like new again. Speaking of Jan/Feb, when it snows I have to park on the road and walk to the house. My wife has AWD and usually can get up it if I salt it well enough...going down is still sketchy. 20180312_093632.jpeg20180814_095130.jpeg20180727_094727.jpeg20180727_091348.jpeg

When I was in my early 20s, I could put a bundle of shingles on each shoulder and hike up an extension ladder without holding on to the ladder then toss the shingles up on the roof. Not a chance that I could do that today. A day will come when I won't be able to climb my property without this trail. Once I can get material to the top....what do you guys think about this?

Accumar Corporation Custom Cable and Track Lifts - YouTube

Last edited:
   / I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #139  
Sure, composite is rated to bond on up to a 45 degree 12/12 without special treatment and I have owned a 12/12 house with composite that had 18 years on it when I sold it without issue. And I am in a low wind area. We might get 30 or maybe 40 mph tops.

Elevation map20180925_154532.jpeg20180925_154634.jpeg