I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I'll need to spray paint my chicken coop in a couple weeks. I want to go ahead and get a paint sprayer, I'll need it for other things anyway.

I plan to spray paint exterior Latex (I think) white sealer on the chicken coop. What's a decent paint sprayer that will do this? (Also give me recommendations on what paint to use - I don't do paints very well.)

I have a C-H 4.5 cfpm air compressor, so I'm leaning towards a compressed air sprayer, but let me know what you think.

Thanks,

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #2  
Even a cheap paint gun will do a good job if you have it adjusted right, have the paint properly thinned, if necessary, have a pressure regulator on the compressor, and preferably a drier. In fact, the drier isn't really necessary with latex as much as with oil based paints. I once painted my parents' mobile home with a Wagner power painter. It did a good job, but was noisy and the vibration can get to be hard on your hands. I prefer compressed air. Four friends and I painted all 5 of our houses one summer using a one quart paint gun from Sears and my little air-compressor (these were brick veneer houses, but had to paint one wall of the garages, the eaves, patio covers, etc.). I've also painted one dune buggy, one utility trailer, and a couple of fences with a one quart paint gun. And my current one is a C-H from Walmart. The more expensive guns don't necessarily do a better job, but can usually spray a larger pattern, move more material faster, and get the job done quicker.

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #3  
Harbor Freight has several low cost sprayers that will work well for your project.

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #4  
If this is a one time deal, go to Home Depot or whatever rental yard you have in your area and rent a commercial spray gun. I own two different Graco units, one for oil finishes and one for latex on houses. Both are very nice and a brand that I highly recommend. They are also top dollar and probably not what you want to spend for a one time project.

Is this a brand new chicken house? Depending on what condition it is and why you are painting it, might mean what you use to prime it with. Remember that the sales gimmick claiming that the paint has primer built into it is just a way to sell paint. Primer is very important to how long the paint lasts and how good your results are. I use Zinsser 123 for most jobs, but for problem areas I go to the oil based BIN.

Lowes Valspar is good paint. It's the only brand I buy from the box stores. Sherwin Williams is probably the best paint out there, but a little pricey and for most jobs, Valspar is my first choice.

Eddie

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations
If this is a one time deal, go to Home Depot or whatever rental yard you have in your area and rent a commercial spray gun. I own two different Graco units, one for oil finishes and one for latex on houses. Both are very nice and a brand that I highly recommend. They are also top dollar and probably not what you want to spend for a one time project.

Is this a brand new chicken house? Depending on what condition it is and why you are painting it, might mean what you use to prime it with. Remember that the sales gimmick claiming that the paint has primer built into it is just a way to sell paint. Primer is very important to how long the paint lasts and how good your results are. I use Zinsser 123 for most jobs, but for problem areas I go to the oil based BIN.

Lowes Valspar is good paint. It's the only brand I buy from the box stores. Sherwin Williams is probably the best paint out there, but a little pricey and for most jobs, Valspar is my first choice.

Eddie

I'm rebuilding a chicken house that my BIL built about 5 years or so ago. Parts of it are old, parts of it are treated wood and parts are just OSB.

I really don't know what I'll paint it with yet. I need to call my local paint store and get their recommendations. I know that I used some sort of "sealer" paint that I had left over from our house painting of late 2013. The painter then recommended it for my pole barn sniper's hide that I built concurrently back then. It's held up well, although it's not directly in the weather like the chicken house will be. ETA: I think the brand name was Valspar as well.

I know most people don't want to hear this, but it needs to be done on the "cheap". Or maybe a better way to put it is: highest value for the lowest cost.

I like the idea of renting from HD, except that I'm about 20 miles from the nearest one, hence, I'd rather just get the paint gun sprayer so I'll have it for other projects.

I need to get some pics of this chicken house. It's turning into a monster.

Thanks,

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #6  
I have painted my whole house with Wagner power Painter - it worked great but it can be noisy and holding the quart of paint on the end of your arm can get a little tiring after a few hours of standing on a ladder. The keys to a paint sprayer is the paint viscosity and the sprayer adjustment and, of course, clean paint. Almost any sprayer will do. I purchased a commerecial wagner unit at a garage sale for $100 many years ago now and it is great as it sucks it out of a pail and it is much faster than a power painter.

Paint - I prefer Behr but there are a lot of good paints available. Behr is not low cost. Like Eddie said though use a primer and he gave you great recommendations. If you want to stay low cost barn red and white are definitely lower cost than other colors.

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #7  
Eddie what graco unit do you use for latex? Thanks!

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #8  
Airless is the only way to go! To use a air sprayer means you'll need to thin the paint way too much. For this job, I'd just get a rental unit. Just make sure you get the right tip for the gun. The numbers have a meaning and bigger isn't better.

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #9  
I also recommend the Graco sprayer, bought the Magnum LTS15 Stationary Airless Paint Sprayer from Lowe's, it was around $300. I have put over 40 gallons of paint thru it. Easy clean-up with garden hose.

Dave

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #10  
What you need for this is a airless sprayer. Using your compressor to apply paint wont give you the paint volume you're looking for and most of it will get lost in overspray. Like Eddy said, rent a airless, unless you have other plans for it.
I've had larger Graco sprayers, but the only one i held onto is my old Graco Ultra 600 which still works as if it was new and has seen a LOT of paint go through it. As with all sprayers, i never leave paint in it over night and NEVER leave water in it. Clean up with water after spraying latex, but i flush the water out with mineral spirits to prevent rust.
If you end up buying, remember you get what you pay for! Graco's are good machines and part/tips/accessories availability is excellent.