I used my lift for the first time

/ I used my lift for the first time #11  
Spencer,
Thanks again for the great updates on this project. There are many including myself who plan on building a personal lift. My needs are a little more than 16 feet so will have to adapt from your plans.
PJ

/ I used my lift for the first time #12  
There's sure been many a time that I would have loved to have had that. Very nice.

/ I used my lift for the first time #13  
Great job on that lift, Spencer. I hadn't seen the original thread and just perused it, too. Thanks for sharing!

/ I used my lift for the first time #14  
What a great job, Spence! I have a question, though. What about grounding the generator? I have one, too. That doesn't mean that I've ever grounded mine/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif......just wondering.....

/ I used my lift for the first time #15  
Spencer,

Here's a really dumb question... Once you're in your lift, how do you access the hydrualic valves to raise and lower yourself? I didn't see any remotes on the lift so I'm assuming that someone has to control the loader SVC from the seat on your behalf.

That could be a problem if the wife gets mad and decides to leave you up there. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Seriously, that is a fine piece of work - wish I had one for my new 4310 so that I could clean out the gutters the lazy man's way. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif If you don't already have it, a remove SVC for controling the lift while in it would be the talk of the town.
Sleepyhollow

/ I used my lift for the first time #16  
That is the first man-lift I have ever seen with the "downstairs" addition......a great idea. Grounding the generator is usually accomplished by using only good three-wire cord as a supply to the electric tool. On 240V, you would have a four-wire cord: hot-hot-neutral-ground, like the newer model electric clothes dryers have. Yes....a remote control would be nice, like a MORSE cable with an attachment to the tractor hydraulic lever....but it would have to be made perfectly foolproof for safety.

/ I used my lift for the first time #17  
CJDave,

<font color=blue>Grounding the generator is usually accomplished by using only good three-wire cord as a supply to the electric tool</font color=blue>

I don't see where by using a good 3 wire cord would ground the generator.
Portable and vehicle mounted generators are not "required" to be grounded as they have no reference to 'Earth'.

/ I used my lift for the first time
mrcaptainbob, you are correct in thinking that the generator should be grounded. It does have a ground screw on the side of the generator for that purpose. I however, have never gone to the trouble of grounding either of my generators. I probably should, and someday might ground them properly but I have never seen anybody else ground theirs either.

/ I used my lift for the first time
sleepyhollow, having a way to control the loader while in the lift would be great. I built the lift to mainly be used by two people, one on the tractor, and the other in the lift. After using it solo the other day, I found that it really wasn't all that inconvenient to use a ladder to climb up into the lift.

/ I used my lift for the first time #20  
Inspector you are right. I was thinking in terms of the potential between the tool and the worker and then the worker and the lift cage itself and then the cage to the generator. This is kind of a special case since, as you noted, it has no "earth". If the tool is leaking to ground the third leg should take care of it, especially with a GFI equipped cord. Yes? No?