I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it.

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #21  
I have a couple of jack posts, that I can put in place just for this type of thing. I'm not concerned with the beam breaking. And with the winch setup like a hoist, I'm not concerned with the weight very much...... That being said, the consensus is that the tires are over filled with Rim Guard. So, I like the idea of jacking the back of the tractor up and pulling the valve stem and letting it drain until I get air. I'll probably try and collect as much as I can, just so it doesn't make a mess in front of my shop. I'll have to see how that goes as it may not be as easy as I think to collect it. If I collect any I will use it for dust control further up the hill.

Thanks for all the advice, ideas and concerns, I really appreciate it. I probably won't get to it until this weekend or maybe next week. I will post a follow up on how it went.
Post a video. :D

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #22  
Keep in mind that you can do a lot of the work without the tire fully suspended. So you're only lifting half the tire. Thus, if it is 600 lbs full, you have 300 lbs to lift and roll.

I rotated (flipped wider) my Ford 1715 tires (9.5x24) by hand in the field.

Of course that is quite a bit smaller than your tires.

An overhead lifting point will help you get the tire balanced, but inevitably it will be in the wrong place.

A gantry crane would be much easier to use.

Even a cheap auto engine cherry picker might help.

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it.
Keep in mind that you can do a lot of the work without the tire fully suspended. So you're only lifting half the tire. Thus, if it is 600 lbs full, you have 300 lbs to lift and roll.

I rotated (flipped wider) my Ford 1715 tires (9.5x24) by hand in the field.

Of course that is quite a bit smaller than your tires.

An overhead lifting point will help you get the tire balanced, but inevitably it will be in the wrong place.

A gantry crane would be much easier to use.

Even a cheap auto engine cherry picker might help.

I agree with everything but the cherry picker, now maybe if you had a super high quility one. Know one I know owns one of the cool ones I've seen on line. I'm not overly impressed with the stability of the one I have. If all I needed to do was lift the tire that would be one thing but laying it down is not anything I would want to do.

@gstrom99 I'll get some photos of the process I'm not sure about a video though. I might try.

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #24  
Better wear some real old clothes when you take the valve stem out, to reduce the amount of Rim Guard in each tire.

Ask me how I know that, ha.

My tires were over filled also, believe they filled the tires laying flat on the ground.

My tires are not that big so I removed them and took them to the tire shop for Rim Guard filling.

I think I got about 1/2 gallon each from the fronts and a gallon from each of the rears.

What I did was like others said here, rotated the valve stem to the 11 or 1 O'clock position, used floor jack to take some pressure off of the tire, and used a plastic funnel with a tubing attached at the bottom of the funnel to feed into empty 1/2 gallon juice containers.

Good luck, KC

I drained the Rim Guard today and Boy that took a while. Sorry @gstrom99 no video. On the second tire it wasn't bad, but the first one didn't work as planned. I finely got them drained enough that I could let air out, 10 gallons of Rim Guard later. It took up most of the afternoon. I did manage to do a few other things in the shop while the Rin Guard was draining.

So, at first, I thought I would just snap on an inflator and let it drain. It would only drain 1/2 cup to 1 cup and plug up. I found I could just move the chuck around a bit and it would continue to drain, but time consuming. I finely removed the inside of the chuck then removed the valve core and quickly snaped on the chuck. But that would only work for a while also before something would plug it up. It looked like maybe the rim guard had coagulated, and the valve stem needed to be cleaned out a few times.

I got it done and I am now setting at 15 psi. in each rear tire. And now I have 10 gallons of Rim Guard to deal with.

Here are some photos.
IMG_2408.JPG
20240430_165623.jpg
20240430_165408.jpg
20240430_151732.jpg
20240430_151715.jpg

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #26  
Good job. A good feeling to have it done, eh?

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #27  
Very intelligent choice. Draining the RimGuard with the tire still on the tractor. Elevated or not - it could have been a disaster to remove the tires.

You are looking at 600 pounds of RG plus the weight of the rim and tire - if you had removed the tire. One slip and you could have been squashed - like a bug.

Mine have 755 pounds of RG per tire plus the rim and tire. Well over 1000 pounds. I don't even dream of doing it myself. It's just too easy to call Les Schwab and have a tech and his truck come out and safely do the job.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JJT
And another thing if I had taken them off and adjusted the air, I would still have the problem of having too much Rim Guard next time I wanted to adjust the air.

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #29  
And another thing if I had taken them off and adjusted the air, I would still have the problem of having too much Rim Guard next time I wanted to adjust the air.
How often do you let air out? Or is it occasionally adding more air which should be easy enough (although perhaps difficult to get the exact pressure).
And now I have 10 gallons of Rim Guard to deal with.

I bet you could sell it on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, although it may not be easy to fill up at home. Perhaps one could use an old pressurized paint pot to push it in.

I'd like to clean up my wheels and rims on the old Ford sometime, and probably change fluids. I occasionally get up into Washington, but rarely into north central Washington.

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #30  
The little drill operated pumps and similar will pump it just fine in warm weather.