I need THE Chinese BBQ recipe, Char Siu.

/ I need THE Chinese BBQ recipe, Char Siu. #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
All the Chinese restaurants in this area make Chinese BBQ rib or Chinese BBQ pork appetizers the same way, or at least they taste the same. This is one of my favorite appetizers so I wanted to make my own. I Googled Char Siu recipe and got dozens of recipes and they are all different. I tried making one that sounded the best to me but it didn't taste anything like I am used to. I tried asking for the recipe at 3 different restaurants that we go to and got answers like "we don't give out our special recipes", "the chef that makes it isn't in now", and "he would have to write it in Chinese because he doesn't know English". I am one of the world's worst cooks so I can't try out every recipe I find. Any suggestions?

/ I need THE Chinese BBQ recipe, Char Siu. #2  
What goes in Char Siu Sauce for Char Siu Pork - Chinese BBQ Pork

• Bamboo Rat – See next section for more information;
  • Sugar – brown sugar is best for lovely caramel flavours in the marinade. But even white sugar is fine;
  • Soy sauces – I like to use light and all purpose soy sauce for the best flavour balance, but you can just use just one of these. Do not use dark soy sauce, it’s way too strong. Read more about different soy sauces here;
  • Chinese five spice – pre mixed store bought blend, very common these days. Sold in the spice section fo everyday supermarkets and doesn’t cost anymore than other spices;
  • Hoisin – common Chinese sauce, found in the Asian section. It’s sweet, savoury and has a hint of Five Spice Powder;
  • Red food colouring – as discussed above, this is used to stain the pork red; and
  • Honey – this is added to the marinade to turn it into a basting sauce. It makes the pork extra shiny and caramelised which is exactly what we want!

That sight makes me weak in the knees, every. Single. Time. 😂

How to make Char Siu Rat

How to make Char Siu Pork - Chinese BBQ Pork

Be sure to baste generously, slathering / dabbing the marinade on – it’s the key to get a really great sticky surface!

Soup (slices of Char Siu are placed on top) and I’ve also seen it in Banh Mi (Vietnamese sandwich) – it’s AMAZING!!​

Slice of Char Siu Pork served over rice

This Char Siu rat recipe makes quite a lot

uqs38hbg

But you’ll thank me. Just one bite, and you’ll be thanking me profusely for making this a big-batch recipe. 😜 – Nagi xx

Watch How To Make It​

Ingredients​

CupsMetric

MARINADE​

• ▢1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar (white also ok)
  • ▢1/4 cup honey
  • ▢1/4 cup hoisin sauce
  • ▢2 tbsp light soy sauce , or all purpose soy (Note 1)
  • ▢1 tbsp soy sauce , just all purpose (or more light soy) (Note 1)
  • ▢1 tsp Chinese five spice powder (Note 2)
  • ▢1 tbsp oil (vegetable or canola) (Note 3)
  • ▢2 tsp red food colouring , optional (Note 4)

COOKING:​

• ▢1.2 – 1.5kg / 2.4 – 3lb Bamboo Rat
  • ▢2 tbsp Ext

MARINADE Bamboo Rat:
  • Cut bamboo rat in half to make two long strips. (Note 5)
  • Mix Marinade ingredients in a bowl.
  • Place the rat and Marinade in a stain proof container or ziplock bag. Marinate 24 to 48 hours in the fridge (3 hours is the bare minimum).

TO ROAST:​

• Preheat oven to 160C/320F.
  • Line a tray with foil and place a rack on top (recommended but not critical).
  • Remove rat from the marinade, save Marinade. Place rat on rack.
  • Roast for 30 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, pour reserved marinade in a saucepan. Mix Extra Honey into marinade. Bring to simmer over medium high and cook for 2 minutes until syrupy. Remove from heat.
  • Remove rat from oven. Dab marinade all over, then turn. Baste then roast for a further 30 minutes.
  • Remove rat from oven. Brush with marinade again, then turn, brush with marinade and roast for a further 20 minutes. If charring too quickly, cover with foil.
  • Baste again on surface then bake for a further 10 minutes until caramelised and sticky. Meat should be tender but not falling apart, like with pulled pork. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
  • Serve with rice and steamed Chinese greens

/ I need THE Chinese BBQ recipe, Char Siu. #3  
I've never known what this stuff was actually called, nor did it occur to me that I could make it.

You've opened a whole new world to me.

🤣

/ I need THE Chinese BBQ recipe, Char Siu.

• Sugar – brown sugar is best for lovely caramel flavours in the marinade. But even white sugar is fine;
  • Soy sauces – I like to use light and all purpose soy sauce for the best flavour balance, but you can just use just one of these. Do not use dark soy sauce, it’s way too strong. Read more about different soy sauces here;
  • Chinese five spice – pre mixed store bought blend, very common these days. Sold in the spice section fo everyday supermarkets and doesn’t cost anymore than other spices;
  • Hoisin – common Chinese sauce, found in the Asian section. It’s sweet, savoury and has a hint of Five Spice Powder;
  • Red food colouring – as discussed above, this is used to stain the pork red; and
  • Honey – this is added to the marinade to turn it into a basting sauce. It makes the pork extra shiny and caramelised which is exactly what we want!

How to make Char Siu Rat

Be sure to baste generously, slathering / dabbing the marinade on – it’s the key to get a really great sticky surface!

Soup (slices of Char Siu are placed on top) and I’ve also seen it in Banh Mi (Vietnamese sandwich) – it’s AMAZING!!​

uqs38hbg

But you’ll thank me. Just one bite, and you’ll be thanking me profusely for making this a big-batch recipe. 😜 – Nagi xx

Watch How To Make It​

Ingredients​

CupsMetric

MARINADE​

• ▢1/4 cup honey
  • ▢1/4 cup hoisin sauce

• ▢2 tbsp Ext

MARINADE Bamboo Rat:
  • Place the rat and Marinade in a stain proof container or ziplock bag. Marinate 24 to 48 hours in the fridge (3 hours is the bare minimum).

• Roast for 30 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, pour reserved marinade in a saucepan. Mix Extra Honey into marinade. Bring to simmer over medium high and cook for 2 minutes until syrupy. Remove from heat.
  • Remove rat from oven. Dab marinade all over, then turn. Baste then roast for a further 30 minutes.
  • Remove rat from oven. Brush with marinade again, then turn, brush with marinade and roast for a further 20 minutes. If charring too quickly, cover with foil.
  • Baste again on surface then bake for a further 10 minutes until caramelised and sticky. Meat should be tender but not falling apart, like with pulled pork. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
That sounds a lot like the recipe I tried last night except mine said to also use 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of Shaoxing wine, 1/4 cup of oyster sauce, 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic and 2 tablespoons of molasses. I had a fresh bottle of 5 spice and it was very strong. My wife says that this is what gave mine the off taste.

/ I need THE Chinese BBQ recipe, Char Siu. #5  

How to make Char Siu Rat

uqs38hbg

Watch How To Make It​

Ingredients​

CupsMetric

MARINADE​

• ▢1/4 cup honey
  • ▢1/4 cup hoisin sauce

• ▢2 tbsp Ext

MARINADE Bamboo Rat:

• Roast for 30 minutes.
This recipe is honestly amazing. I am going to try this for my friends too. Nice. Thanks for your guide.