I need a new lawn mower!

/ I need a new lawn mower! #61  
I might be biased, as I have always been an avid John Deere fan. But I can give some tips what to look for and what to stay away from. If it is for sale at a big box store, stay away from it. Period. Those are cheaply made, consumer models. Less quality parts, cheaper engines, paper thin decks, non-serviceable bearings and what if you need service? Big box store doesn't even have availability for parts.

Support your local Machine dealer. They have the parts, Factory training and they can easily recommend a model for you that will have the exact features you want. They even have sensible financing.

I am a big guy, also. My latest ZTR is a JD 930M. It is now 8 years old. It has a Kawi V twin 25HP engine, which has been bullet proof. It has a 60" 7 iron deck on it. After 8 years, no dents or bends. The spindle quills on the deck are massive and have grease zerks on them. Give each one a shot of grease every time you mow. The seat is a adjustable suspension seat. Very comfortable.
Being a big guy, it is very easy to mount, dismount, plenty of operator space and it gives a comfortable ride for several hours of mowing. We mow 7 acres of grass a week here on the farm. Not all of it is golf course smooth. Yes, you have to slow down for rough patches of ground. Same thing with my large tractor. That is common sense

4 wheel suspension kind of defeats the finish mow of a deck. ZTRs rely on the deck being securely suspended from the machine and any rough areas are absorbed by the large back pneumatic wheels, so that doesn't reflect in the cut quality as you travel over rough ground. The front wheels are solid rubber. You don't want pneumatic tires on the front of a ZTR. They easily will get sharp sticks, thorns and other pokie things shoved through them. If you don't have those things on your lawn, front pneumatic tires will still find those non-existent things for you. The deck basically floats across the rough, bumpy areas. If your deck is riding on the ground on hard wheels or casters, you will get scalping and a uneven cut.

I know they make 72" decks. Unless your entire lawn is perfectly smooth, stick with a 60" deck that stays contained within the wheel base of your mower. On bumpy, uneven ground, the extra width of a 72" will scalp on the outside cutting edges.

As far as tires, your mower is a turf machine. That is why it runs turf tires. Turf tires are not mud tires. If you want to mow your turf, use turf tires. They save your lawn and give a better ride. If you deal with a lot of mud, then you need a tractor with a brush hog or 3PH rear discharge finish mower. If you deal with very steep hills, hand cut it or get a walk behind mower. Ztrs were never designed for steep hills. If they start sliding, then that is a safety threshold that tells you don't go any steeper. If you install more tread aggressive tires so you can hold the hill, those tires will hold you better on the hill, but where is the center of gravity on your machine with you sitting on top of it? Those tires may hold you on steeper angle until you flip over if you hit a hole in the ground. Something to think about.

Whatever you decide, stay away from Kohler engines and Briggs & Stratton gasoline engines. They are consumer junk.

If you want a diesel, get something with a Yanmar or Kubota diesel in it.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #62  
Once in awhile you see those front diesel mowers at auctions both JD and Kubota shaft powered decks, If I ever turn a decent profit hobby farming I'd probably look for one. I'm kind of bewildered how much gas the wife's z-turn uses I think it's a 26 hp Briggs endurance and unlike the hydros, simple to maintain, always starts and runs good but sucks gas, Surprisingly my collection of old derelict JD 200 series, sip gas in comparison. Granted all my jd's are less than half the rated HP of Z-turn.
Just bought a used Kubota F series front mount diesel mower. It has a steering wheel versus the 2 oars I'm used to. Having the dealer go through it and replacing anything that needs replacing and change the fluids and filters as well.

Like I stated previously, all the gas powered ones are gas hogs.

Trading in a Cub Cadet M60 tank with a 27 horse Kawasaki gas hog engine and 2 oars.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #63  
Whatever you decide, stay away from Kohler engines and Briggs & Stratton gasoline engines. They are consumer junk.
Got news for ya, so are Kawasaki's. Projected engine life is around 2000 hours with normal (infrequent maintenance) which is what most of them get today. Most all of them are similar with die cast aluminum blocks and plated cylinders and all of them aren't designed to last a lifetime anyway, one reason I'd never buy a green one. That and the OTD cost.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #64  
Got news for ya, so are Kawasaki's. Projected engine life is around 2000 hours with normal (infrequent maintenance) which is what most of them get today. Most all of them are similar with die cast aluminum blocks and plated cylinders and all of them aren't designed to last a lifetime anyway, one reason I'd never buy a green one. That and the OTD cost.
Wonder why Honda gas gx series vertical shafts aren't more prevalent in Z-turns? One look at my 30 + yr old 6k generator and you'll understand why I drifted with that question.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #65  
No commercial engine will last any extended length of time with infrequent maintenance. Oil and filters need to be changed on a hourly schedule.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #66  
I might be biased, as I have always been an avid John Deere fan. But I can give some tips what to look for and what to stay away from. If it is for sale at a big box store, stay away from it. Period. Those are cheaply made, consumer models. Less quality parts, cheaper engines, paper thin decks, non-serviceable bearings and what if you need service? Big box store doesn't even have availability for parts.

Support your local Machine dealer. They have the parts, Factory training and they can easily recommend a model for you that will have the exact features you want. They even have sensible financing.

I am a big guy, also. My latest ZTR is a JD 930M. It is now 8 years old. It has a Kawi V twin 25HP engine, which has been bullet proof. It has a 60" 7 iron deck on it. After 8 years, no dents or bends. The spindle quills on the deck are massive and have grease zerks on them. Give each one a shot of grease every time you mow. The seat is a adjustable suspension seat. Very comfortable.
Being a big guy, it is very easy to mount, dismount, plenty of operator space and it gives a comfortable ride for several hours of mowing. We mow 7 acres of grass a week here on the farm. Not all of it is golf course smooth. Yes, you have to slow down for rough patches of ground. Same thing with my large tractor. That is common sense

4 wheel suspension kind of defeats the finish mow of a deck. ZTRs rely on the deck being securely suspended from the machine and any rough areas are absorbed by the large back pneumatic wheels, so that doesn't reflect in the cut quality as you travel over rough ground. The front wheels are solid rubber. You don't want pneumatic tires on the front of a ZTR. They easily will get sharp sticks, thorns and other pokie things shoved through them. If you don't have those things on your lawn, front pneumatic tires will still find those non-existent things for you. The deck basically floats across the rough, bumpy areas. If your deck is riding on the ground on hard wheels or casters, you will get scalping and a uneven cut.

I know they make 72" decks. Unless your entire lawn is perfectly smooth, stick with a 60" deck that stays contained within the wheel base of your mower. On bumpy, uneven ground, the extra width of a 72" will scalp on the outside cutting edges.

As far as tires, your mower is a turf machine. That is why it runs turf tires. Turf tires are not mud tires. If you want to mow your turf, use turf tires. They save your lawn and give a better ride. If you deal with a lot of mud, then you need a tractor with a brush hog or 3PH rear discharge finish mower. If you deal with very steep hills, hand cut it or get a walk behind mower. Ztrs were never designed for steep hills. If they start sliding, then that is a safety threshold that tells you don't go any steeper. If you install more tread aggressive tires so you can hold the hill, those tires will hold you better on the hill, but where is the center of gravity on your machine with you sitting on top of it? Those tires may hold you on steeper angle until you flip over if you hit a hole in the ground. Something to think about.

If you want a diesel, get something with a Yanmar or Kubota diesel in it.
Agree with everything except your comments about Kohler and Briggs engines. Both of those companies make commercial grade engines as well as consumer grade. I agree to stay away from consumer grade engines.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #67  
Hello folks,

After giving up on my 314 and sending it on down the line, I am without a mower; this hasn't been a problem, but it'll need to be rectified before we get into Spring. My lawn, if you could call it that, would currently be about an acre on a just under 2 acre property. It barely exists as a lawn, having seen much destruction over the last year, and it was a mess to begin with. However, over time it'll be smoothed out, dried out, and an attempt made to return it to normal.

Traditionally I have mowed with lawn or garden tractors; prior to moving here I had a D160 that I really enjoyed, however I found the lawn (before it's current state) beat the tractor rather hard, so I sold it before it caused any damage. That has me scratching the 100 and 200 series out of the running. That was replaced with a Cub Cadet XT3, which handled the property well, but those are no longer in production. The obvious alternative is the X500 series, but that would need to be used given their premium price. So, that leaves the X300 series; from that I've cut out the K46 machines. From there I've narrowed it down to the X380, or maybe even an X384.

The lawn tractor market is sad these days, the only real alternative to the Deere would be a Cub Cadet XT2 in the higher end. Those seem to be good machines, but the frame is similar to that of the 100/200 series Deere; they're pretty well put together, but I'm a big guy and the flex makes me a little uncomfortable.

Husqvarna isn't even in the running, their lawn and garden tractors are a bit of a farce. So I guess that just leaves the Deere X380/X384, or whatever I can find used.

Or...

I could get a zero-turn.

I've never operated one in my life, but they've taken over the market so there must be something to them. I have a few concerns; first and foremost, will my Big & Tall catalog self be able to operate one comfortably? Not far behind that, I wonder how they do on rough terrain? Mud?

I've looked around the local field, and I've found these machines. Does anyone have any thoughts on them? On zero-turns in general? How they compare to lawn and garden tractors? This will just be a lawn mower, other tasks are handled by the Kioti. That said, I've got a 10P cart I'll be able to use again.

Cub Cadet ZTS2 50

ExMark Quest X

Scag Liberty Z

Ariens IKON

Ariens APEX

Bad Boy ZT Elite

John Deere Z330R

Is there anything I'd be doing a disservice not to look at? I'm trying to stay right around 48" with the deck size. Is there anything to look for on a zero-turn that doesn't apply to a lawn tractor? Anything to avoid?

I'd like to figure this out quick enough, before the Spring rush I suppose.
I believe the rough terrain and mud you mentioned pretty much rules out a zero turn mower for you. Probably better off looking for a nice used tractor type mower until your lawn gets repaired.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #68  
Wonder why Honda gas gx series vertical shafts aren't more prevalent in Z-turns? One look at my 30 + yr old 6k generator and you'll understand why I drifted with that question.
Hondas are used quite a bit on commercial construction equipment. Not so much on mowers. I own several pieces of equipment with Honda engines. The only one I have problems with is my i2000 generator. It's problem isn't the motor, it's the carb.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #69  
Hondas are used quite a bit on commercial construction equipment. Not so much on mowers. I own several pieces of equipment with Honda engines. The only one I have problems with is my i2000 generator. It's problem isn't the motor, it's the carb.
I have a nice snapper commercial grade self propelled walk behind mower with a commercial grade Honda engine. A fantastic mower. Sadly they don’t make them anymore.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #70  
My Briggs endurance has 500 hrs on it still runs like it's new with only a fall or spring pm it also has a small external oil cooler on it.