I keep leaving my #$&@ parking brake on!

/ I keep leaving my #$&@ parking brake on! #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
Well, I rarely use my brakes on my tractor, I usually just slow to a stop. But if there is a chance of my tractor rolling I put the parking brake on, just press the pedal down and pull the spring-loaded piece with the notches in it against the pedal.

Anyway, I was mowing along today happy as could be for about 10 minutes without realizing the stupid thing was on, I have done that a couple times... and I don't want it to happen again!

Anyone have creative ideas to help you not forget?

Thanks!

Dennis

/ I keep leaving my #$&@ parking brake on! #2  
dieselfuelonly said:
Anyone have creative ideas to help you not forget?

Recall seeing a post around here somewhere that offered a pretty neat idea, with pictures even. Don't recall who or when, but, IIRC, the gist of the idea was to use a magnetic reed switch similar to those used in home alarm systems to actuate an alarm if a window or door is opened. The switch was mounted such that when the parking brake was set, the brake lever was close enough to the switch to actuate it and illuminate a warning light on the panel.

I thought that was pretty creative.

/ I keep leaving my #$&@ parking brake on! #3  
I always figured that extra battery light would make a good warning signal.

Bruce

/ I keep leaving my #$&@ parking brake on! #4  
Some motorcycle racers use a little ( for lack of a better term ) ribbon that clips on the handlebars its says TURN THE GAS ON!

something simular would work.

/ I keep leaving my #$&@ parking brake on! #5  
Make sure the brakes are in good condition and when you set it do it hard enough so the tractor will not move.:D

Uhh -- I have the same problem.:) :)

/ I keep leaving my #$&@ parking brake on! #6  
Not me. The brakes squeal like a Mercedes. It's impossible to ignore.

/ I keep leaving my #$&@ parking brake on!
So am I the only one who does this?? I can't believe I keep forgetting...

/ I keep leaving my #$&@ parking brake on! #8  
I have a habit of stepping on the brakes when I put it into gear... If they don't go down, that tells me instantly that the parking brake is set.

It's all about "behavior modification" ;) :) You just have to change your habit :p.

/ I keep leaving my #$&@ parking brake on! #9  
No, you're not the only one!!! Been there, done that. What I came up with is a small red velcro strap that I keep wrapped around the throttle. Whenever I lock the brakes, I wrap the red velcro around the steering wheel - instant reminder. I also do the same thing when I secure the tractor with a chain through the rim of the rear wheel and around the ROP whenever I leave it at my camp. Yep, got some nice little "whiskey bumps" on the fender..........

/ I keep leaving my #$&@ parking brake on! #10  
Tom_Veatch said:
Recall seeing a post around here somewhere that offered a pretty neat idea, with pictures even. Don't recall who or when, but, IIRC, the gist of the idea was to use a magnetic reed switch similar to those used in home alarm systems to actuate an alarm if a window or door is opened. The switch was mounted such that when the parking brake was set, the brake lever was close enough to the switch to actuate it and illuminate a warning light on the panel.

I thought that was pretty creative.

Tom,
It may have been my thread here. I used to drive off with the brakes engaged all the time. I only set them hard enough to keep the Yanmar from rolling away, but it was not enough to keep it immobile when applying the throttle.