I JUST CHANGED THE TRANSMISSION / hYDRAULIC fluid in the 1963 John Deere 4010

/ I JUST CHANGED THE TRANSMISSION / hYDRAULIC fluid in the 1963 John Deere 4010 #1  

jrsavoie

Gold Member
Tractor
1975 Ford backhoe/loader 3 cylinder diesel, 2022 Kubota LX2610, 1963 John Deere 4010 diesel wide front, 1996 Toro 223D Groundsmaster, 1998 Toro Groundsmaster 325D 4x4 72" deck cab & snowblower
I JUST CHANGED THE TRANSMISSION / hYDRAULIC fluid in the 1963 John Deere 4010 Diesel Syncro transmission.

I used a John Deere filter and cleaned the screen behind the square plug.

When I started it after adding 10 gallons , it was squealing and the 3 point was jerky. I shut it off and added another gallon to top it off. It is still noisy and the 3 point is jerky.

I used Amsoil Tractor Hydraulic Transmission oil - I had it here - It's what I have always used in my 1975 Ford Backhoe.

Is there anything I did wrong? Is there anything more to changing the hydraulic fluid than dumping it, changing the filter, cleaning the screen and refilling?

Last edited:
   / I JUST CHANGED THE TRANSMISSION / hYDRAULIC fluid in the 1963 John Deere 4010 #2  
Is there a bleed procedure? Do you have the service manual?

/ I JUST CHANGED THE TRANSMISSION / hYDRAULIC fluid in the 1963 John Deere 4010
Is there a bleed procedure? Do you have the service manual?

I never saw any bleed procedure in the manuals. The procedure was pretty much described as I did it.

I never read the manual cover to cover, and sometimes they do hide important info in odd places.

In the GM 6.5 diesel manuals they never say that 3 of the intake studs need sealant in the intake installation part of the book. I think the torque sequence is there, but if you don't know about the 3 studs, they will get installed without the sealant.

/ I JUST CHANGED THE TRANSMISSION / hYDRAULIC fluid in the 1963 John Deere 4010 #4  
Is 11 gallons about what you caught from the tractor? I would have guessed it held 20 or so gallons of HYD fluid.

According to the book and the stick it's full. The book said 10 gallon for a change. I don't think they took the filter into account

I just noticed it says John Deere 400. That is supposed to be a John Deere 4010 diesel wide front Syncro transmsission

Is there somebody that can fix that?

/ I JUST CHANGED THE TRANSMISSION / hYDRAULIC fluid in the 1963 John Deere 4010 #6  
With engine running a little above idle speed,foot off of clutch pedal cycle 3 pt up/down & operate steering to purge any air out of hyd system. 10 gallons is correct.

With engine running a little above idle speed,foot off of clutch pedal cycle 3 pt up/down & operate steering to purge any air out of hyd system. 10 gallons is correct.

tHANK YOU MUCH

/ I JUST CHANGED THE TRANSMISSION / hYDRAULIC fluid in the 1963 John Deere 4010 #8  
I just noticed it says John Deere 400. That is supposed to be a John Deere 4010 diesel wide front Syncro transmsission

Is there somebody that can fix that?

Changed title to 4010.

It is still jerking a little when raising the 3 point. The 3 point also drops rather quickly after the tractor is shut off

/ I JUST CHANGED THE TRANSMISSION / hYDRAULIC fluid in the 1963 John Deere 4010 #10  
I had a 4000 that shook and jerked like that when first started, after it got warm it quit doing that. It dropped the lift arms too when shut off.
A 55+ year old tractor isn't going to be perfect.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Header Trailer (A33041)
Header Trailer...
Pallet of Welding Leads, Approx. 1000' - 2/0 (A33349)
Pallet of Welding...
Caterpillar D6D Dozer (A33041)
Caterpillar D6D...
Sitrex Hay Tedder (A33041)
Sitrex Hay Tedder...
"(13) Pallets of Electrical Supplies & Accessories Transformers, Wire, Ligh (A33349)
"(13) Pallets of...
4 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
4 Yard steel end...