I have need for a farm diesel tank. ? Obround tank for outside farm fuel storage?

/ I have need for a farm diesel tank. ? Obround tank for outside farm fuel storage? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I have need for a farm diesel tank as well as a gasoline tank. I've been looking at options, and while I need a consistent 25g/day when I'm working, I don't want massive amounts sitting around waiting for me to draw it from the tank.

I don't think I'll need more than a 300 gal tank. Realistically, a little less would likely be fine. But I'd like to have at least 10 full work days worth of diesel before I'd need to call for a refill.

Given my suspected needs, I was looking for 300gal or there a outs, tanks. In my perusal of availability, I found Obround
tanks. These are typically utilized for heating oil in basements, however, l believe they could be well used for fuel storage in my case. They typically are 12-14ga steel single wall tanks. Depending upon specifics, they tend to have either 6 or 19" "legs". I'm not certain why the discrepancy.

However, my thinking is that 2 of these tanks, in placed relatively close together would allow for a reasonable fueling station. Attaching them to a base would allow them to be placed close together while remaining stable. The size would be reasonable and I'd expect to get through a tank at least once a month or so. This would allow the diesel to remain fresh.

But... I don't see them being used, at least often, in such a way.

When I call suppliers, they steer me towards a typical cylindrical 300 gal farm tank. But when queried, never can explain why my idea isn't feasible. They say, "They are typically used for oil, hydraulic fluid, etc. but are unable to say why they wouldn't work well for fuel.

What do you think? The size fits what I need. I think the layout would work well. I could cover them easily.

If they wouldn't work or there are other issues, I'd like to understand.

/ I have need for a farm diesel tank. ? Obround tank for outside farm fuel storage? #2  
I think it would work fine, but you will want to mount the tanks to either steel bars or 4x4's to keep it from falling over. They are rather narrow, and if bumped by a truck or tractor could easily be pushed over. A normal round tank would be more stable which may be why they are more popular. In New England 80% of houses are heated by oil, and we all have these tanks either outside or in the basement.

/ I have need for a farm diesel tank. ? Obround tank for outside farm fuel storage? #3  
Too bad you didn't live up here. You can find those tanks cheap (or even free) quite often as people convert from heating oil to natural gas. I just gave two away last week to be made into smokers. Do you have a pump? If not I would think about mounting them high enough off the ground so you could just use gravity. As long as you have a solid ladder for the oil guy to get up to the top to fill them it shouldn't be a problem. I use 55 gallon drums with a fillrite pump. The pump is 12 volts so I have to connect it to the battery on my tractor. Not a show stopper but it's one more step. I added some quick disconnects to both the hose and the electrical line so i can remove both when not filling the tractor.

/ I have need for a farm diesel tank. ? Obround tank for outside farm fuel storage? #4  
People do it all the time.......I use to do it too.

SR

/ I have need for a farm diesel tank. ? Obround tank for outside farm fuel storage? #5  
I think it would work fine, but you will want to mount the tanks to either steel bars or 4x4's to keep it from falling over. They are rather narrow, and if bumped by a truck or tractor could easily be pushed over. A normal round tank would be more stable which may be why they are more popular. In New England 80% of houses are heated by oil, and we all have these tanks either outside or in the basement.
Why is that? I've been there and I believe it, but heating oil is non existent here. Here people use natural gas or wood. The unfortunate ones use electric or propane. The stupid ones use kerosene heaters.

/ I have need for a farm diesel tank. ? Obround tank for outside farm fuel storage? #6  
Those tanks will be fine. I have 3 - 275 gallon tanks. 2 are for home heating and 1 for the tractor. All are filled with ULSD #2 diesel. All are standing on 10" or 12" steel pipe legs so the tank bottom is off the ground. I use a 12v fuel transfer pump I bought from Northerntool.

/ I have need for a farm diesel tank. ? Obround tank for outside farm fuel storage? #7  
Hello Dadnatron. I think you have placed the cart before the horse.
The FIRST question is," how often the fuel company will deliver"? If like me you lived a fair distance from the fuel co, then you had to make sure you didn't run out because they would not make a special delivery. In my case delivery was once a month for the area.
If you are fairly close to town then delivery options are wider.
Try looking at "farm fuel tanks", some are single fuel and others are combination petrol/diesel, and give the option of heights. ie 5' (approx) for gravity feed,or ground level for pumped units. Also be sure to check your state fuel storage regulations, as there will be different levels of regulation/ cost as the volumes increase.
THEN you would have a good idea of needs and fishooks to avoid.
Add TBN members operational experience and you should get it right first time.

/ I have need for a farm diesel tank. ? Obround tank for outside farm fuel storage? #8  
The regs on storage tanks is a good point but I think you need to be over 1,000 gallons in pa to have an issue. If you get over 1320 gallons, you need an SPCC plan per the federal regs. Stay out of that category and things are much easier. Being that its for farm use I don't think the regs are going to bite you. I would really check into the delivery issues though. I have a fuel supplier locally that will deliver for 100gal with a day or 2 notice. You can either set up an account, pay by check on deliver, COD, or credit card over the phone. They may have issue with the tank that they are filling. Best to see what they will or wont fill and go from there.

/ I have need for a farm diesel tank. ? Obround tank for outside farm fuel storage?
Those are good points on frequency of delivery. I spoke with Southern States, a large local Co-op. They said there are no regulations that would bite me at my level. They were willing to sell me either a 'skid or elevated' 300gal tank, bring it out, and set it up. They didn't mention any issues, so I don't think there are any for my situation in my location. I didn't think to ask about delivery frequency, but I'm only about 4 miles out of Versailles and 10 out of Lexington. I will ask to be sure.

Concerning the Obround tanks, I see 2 relative shape/sizes with the same capacity. One is Shorter length but taller, making it 'top heavy' to some extent. The others are longer length and not as tall. Capacity is the same. My feeling is that a lower center of gravity would be beneficial in my case, but does anyone have thoughts on the differences?

/ I have need for a farm diesel tank. ? Obround tank for outside farm fuel storage? #10  
Concerning the Obround tanks, I see 2 relative shape/sizes with the same capacity. One is Shorter length but taller, making it 'top heavy' to some extent. The others are longer length and not as tall. Capacity is the same. My feeling is that a lower center of gravity would be beneficial in my case, but does anyone have thoughts on the differences?

If it is one of those low squat looking tanks, I'd be worried about getting the fuel out when the level got low. Obviously having a fuel tank vs not is hardly debatable but having a nicely setup one makes things nice and simple as well.