I have a water weep

/ I have a water weep #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all, I have a water weep on our property (a place where the water pushes up through the ground) not really a spring but it is wet all year long.
Its almost at the bottom of our property so it has to be coming from all the run off down our hill.
I was wondering about making it into a spring, or for a shallow well to have an emergency water source.
I cannot find any info on what to to with it (googled keep getting willow trees :) ).
Has anyone developed a weep, or do you have any info on what to do with one.
thanks
Forgeblast

/ I have a water weep #2  
I by no means am an expert in this but what comes to mind is dig a hole. Place 2 well crocks vertically stacked on top of 10-12" of 3/4+ stone. Just below the crocks and above the stone use some sort of screen to keep the sand and debris out. Back fill and enjoy.

/ I have a water weep #3  
Have done it but many moons ago. First spend time looking where the most water comes up and dig around there a little to see where it is coming from, down or from the side. after you find where the water is coming from stand a big piece of concrete pipe on end and dig out the dirt, muck, ect. out of the middle. Sometimes you have to put a second piece on top if it sinks in far enough, Don't use block as the water gets inside and breaks them in winter. That is my way and it worked for us, It was out only water supply for our home and farm buildings for 30 years. The pipe was 3ft across and sunk 6 feet in the ground. Others will have other ideas, hope this helps. Ed

/ I have a water weep
Guys thank you thats more info then I had a few hours ago. The well crocks are you talking about sewer pipe? the ceramic glazed kind? I have a few pieces that I was saving for a smoke house.
I think that I saw something similar to that on "Alaska the Final Frontier", they put in a galvanized pipe for a well after digging down a few feet and then back filled and put a lid on to keep out bugs.

Is this type of well called anything? I would like to find more info on it. The wife and little one are going to make cookies tommorrow and I think I may have some time to poke around maby clean out the weep.
and get some pictures.

/ I have a water weep #5  
Many years ago I installed a Sand Point Well at our place in the mountains and we have been able to provide all the water we need for our camp. You can buy sand points at Amazon, Lowes and Home Depot (just to name a few places) I purchased a 11/2 diameter point and connecting pipes. They are available in different sizes and I have seen 2 points. You will also have to purchase a point pounding cap and pipe connecting joints. 1

I have mine down about ten feet and have added a check valve at the top of the pipe in the ground prior to running to the pump.

I used a 3 foot section of 11/2 plastic pipe running to the pump and this seems to maintain enough water for when the pump kicks on the water comes without any delay and it never lose the prime.

I guess you could use teflon tape for the joints to seal them, I used plumber's putty to seal my joints, easy to work with and will provide an air tight seal.

Here is one site with some information on installing a Sand Point:

Google Image Result for http://www.ncdhd.org/Images/drivenWell.jpg

Attachments

• ar123147754382814.jpg
    ar123147754382814.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 273
  • !B2TCtzQ!Wk~$(KGrHqMOKj0E)oHz+VzSBMh7kIkNEQ~~_35.JPG
    !B2TCtzQ!Wk~$(KGrHqMOKj0E)oHz+VzSBMh7kIkNEQ~~_35.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 294
  • drivenWell.jpg
    drivenWell.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 458
   / I have a water weep #6  
What you are looking for is a "spring development." Your local Soil and Water Conservation District or Extension service should have pre-drawn basic plans on developing a spring. They may be able to drop by and give you some suggestions, depending on their involvement in your county. Basically you put a tile parallel to the spring in the hillside to catch the water and direct it to a "Crock" or holding tank and then a smaller pipe comes out of the crock to a watering trough for livestock, or to a spring house for the house, etc. As long as you have a decent elevation difference from the spring to your trough it is not too hard to install in most cases. Good luck.

/ I have a water weep #7  
My grandmother's property had a weep area that they used to get potable water from. Most of the local wells had been contaminated with salt water from oil wells and drilling operations. There was not a significant spot or concentrated area that the water would come from. They built a reverse septic type system. Filter cloth around gravel around perforated piping sloped toward a septic tank utilized as a cistern. They put in a submersible pump and ran a line about 500' to the house. This was out in the pasture, so they would take a sample in to the county for periodic testing to verify it did not become contaminated.

/ I have a water weep #8  
Basically you put a tile parallel to the spring in the hillside

Should have said put the tile perpendicular to the spring flow, parallel with the land contour. Hopefully you know what I mean and I got it right this time. Getting late.

/ I have a water weep
Thank you all, Its on the other side of our property, away from the house. But it is next to where we have a little orchard. No power, and down hill away from the house. (I am thinking to possibly do a spring house over it maby, not sure, I do need to see it better when i get it cleaned out.

I will do some web searches. thanks again.

/ I have a water weep
http://www.in.nrcs.usda.gov/smallscalefarmers/Small Farms Spring Development (IN)-web.pdf
Protecting Water Supply Springs

http://vwrrc.vt.edu/pdfs/specialreports/edureports/protection_of_springs.pdf
(following from them)
To begin the development process, identify the seep site. Large seep areas are usually
covered with dense plant growth. Smaller seep areas
many have standing water
that appears colored fromiron content or has an oilyscum due to plant decomposition.
Dig several 3-foot deep test holes uphill from the seep site. The
purpose of digging test holes is to locate the impervious
layer of rock. Water flows over this rock layer through
the sand and gravel layer (water-bearing layer) into the
seep area. At the site where the test holes indicate that the
rock layer is at least 3 feet underground, dig an 18- to
24-inch trench across the slope. The trench should be
dug to a depth of 6 inches below the water- bearing