Generator I found an unused PTO generator

/ I found an unused PTO generator #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
This generator was originally purchased in 1985. (10500 w) It was never used and just sitting in a barn collecting dust. Are their any concerns for this item because of its non use?

/ I found an unused PTO generator #2  
Mice and wasp nests come to mind. If it has vents and they can get in it there may be a lot of trash in it or chewed wiring. If it is an alternator, that is what most newer "generators" are, it would most likely have to be "flashed" before it would ever produce electricity. I would want to examine it closely and try to run it before I paid very much for it. I am sure there are some more electrically minded people on here that could give more specific advice, but that is what comes to my mind right off.
Mine recommends test running it once a month. So far I end up using it about every 6 months and have not had any problems with it. I keep it clean dry and in a weather tight shop building when it is stored.

/ I found an unused PTO generator #3  
We ran ours once a month when possible, even for small remote jobs like running a circular saw or grain elevator. Moisture is also a big enemy of alternator-generators. A friend let his set unused for 2 years, and when he needed it to save a tank of milk, it wouldn't generate. I'd be a little leary of one that has set for so long.

/ I found an unused PTO generator #4  
arrow said:
This generator was originally purchased in 1985. (10500 w) It was never used and just sitting in a barn collecting dust. Are their any concerns for this item because of its non use?

Condensation and corrosion could be a problem. A barn might actually be OK, they're pretty drafty so they don't get so humid inside. You could pull off a few of the covers that are easy to remove and look for signs of corrosion on wiring. If it's mounted on something, try hooking it up to your tractor and run it for awhile.

/ I found an unused PTO generator #5  
MarkLeininger said:
Condensation and corrosion could be a problem. A barn might actually be OK, they're pretty drafty so they don't get so humid inside. You could pull off a few of the covers that are easy to remove and look for signs of corrosion on wiring. If it's mounted on something, try hooking it up to your tractor and run it for awhile.

Moisture is a problem. I would hook it up and run it with a load (at least 50% of rating) for 3 hours. If it holds up it may be ok. A friend did not run her generator (not PTO) for two years and then it failed after a few hours during hurricane Isabel.

/ I found an unused PTO generator
The lady said her next door neighbor stated to her that these new cost over $1000 so she wants $500 and she would not allow me to take it back to my house to put on my tractor as she no longer has any tractors. I asked if it did not work would she give me my money back. She said sure so I got this thing home and attached and it turns it but it will not even power my drill up. How long can a PTO gen t sit w/out being used. I though about forever but am totally ignorant about gens. I wanted a PTO gen so as to not have to worry about starting it once in awhile like a gas gen.

/ I found an unused PTO generator #7  
Now that you have it home pull a few covers and check the insides. If it looks like major work, return it. If it looks minor then it should be too difficult to clean it up. If you have someone in your area that works on this type of equipment you could take to them to check out. BTW did you run your PTO up to full speed? Might not work properly until you do.

Good luck.

/ I found an unused PTO generator #8  
Won't the magnets de-magnetize over time if a generator isn't used? Sounds like what happened here.

/ I found an unused PTO generator #9  
Don't be too hasty about removing panels, etc. Go to the web address below and read how to re-engerize the generator.

RE-ENERGIZING DEAD GENERATORS

/ I found an unused PTO generator #10  
There are no magnets in it, but the iron core of the rotor will build up a weak magnetic field. That weak magnetic field is enough to generate a little power, which is fed back into the rotor field windings to generate a stronger field and so on. If it has set for a long time, or the generator is allowed to spin down with a load attached, this field will most likley have been lost/depleted, so the generator will not self start. When this happens, a DC power source is needed to put a little current into the field windings to get the process started. A momentary application of current from a car battery should be enough to get the process started. But depending on the design and construction, this could be a little difficult to access, and not for the inexperienced, as doing it incorrectly could cause problems, or damage the voltage regulator if this particular generator uses one.

Is there by chance a wiring diagram on the inside of any of the access panels or the power connection box(doghouse)? If so, if you can scan or take a clear digital pic and post that here, I am sure one of us can point you in the right direction to safely flash the field and get it producing power(if it can). As mentioned, it might also not self excite untill it is spun up to full PTO RPM. Once you get it making voltage, I would gradually add load a little at a time to give it a chance to warm slowly.

As mentioned, look for corrosion. If it sat for so long without being rolled over, if it has a reduction gearbox, it may have the upper gear half rusted(will cause a cyclic noise as you rotate it). If it has a gearbox, after you spin it a bit on the tractor, change the gearbox oil and flush out any rust/debris in the box. The bearing grease may also be about the consistency of wax, so if it has greasable bearings, press out the old crap and get some fresh grease in there. If it has sealed bearings, it might be a good idea to replace them...