I feel stupid

/ I feel stupid #1  

Unclelevi

Tractor
JD X540, JD 1250
I'm about to buy a John Deere 1250 tractor/loader and it has a quick hitch mounted on it. I've never had a quick hitch on any tractor I've owned and want to know how and why to use it. Sorry about my ignorance.

/ I feel stupid #2  
Congrats.

my interpretation of a quick hitch is that it is a frame with lower hooks that latch onto the implements instead of your link arms. Then another that stands in for your top link.

The drawbacks would be extra weight and length. The weight is only a problem if your implements run heavy for your 3pt. Length will just be a maneuverability issue. Not a big deal unless the inches matter.

Seems most who use them like them. Attaching implements without one can be a PITA sometimes.

/ I feel stupid #3  
Congrats.

my interpretation of a quick hitch is that it is a frame with lower hooks that latch onto the implements instead of your link arms. Then another that stands in for your top link.

The drawbacks would be extra weight and length. The weight is only a problem if your implements run heavy for your 3pt. Length will just be a maneuverability issue. Not a big deal unless the inches matter.

Seems most who use them like them. Attaching implements without one can be a PITA sometimes.
My bad I got confuse since he mentioned the loader just before, I though he meant quick attach, I deleted my comment

/ I feel stupid
I'm about to buy a John Deere 1250 tractor/loader and it has a quick hitch mounted on it. I've never had a quick hitch on any tractor I've owned and want to know how and why to use it. Sorry about my ignorance.
Looked on you-tube and kinda get the idea now.

/ I feel stupid #5  
I wasn’t going to get one but I got sick of wrestling with the 3-point arms to put the ballast box on, not I just back up to it and raise the 3-point and it hooks up

Last edited:
   / I feel stupid #6  
I have to agree. All my implements are category 2, are very heavy and you DO NOT wrestle them. You have to align the tractor so that everything lines up. It can be frustrating at times.

/ I feel stupid #7  
I have to agree. All my implements are category 2, are very heavy and you DO NOT wrestle them. You have to align the tractor so that everything lines up. It can be frustrating at times.

Personally I just want to get one side on, then I used a 5ft pry bar and move or lift the implement as needed to hook on the other side.

Last edited:
   / I feel stupid #8  
All my implements are category 2, are very heavy and you DO NOT wrestle them.
All mine are category 1, but my back isn't even cat 0 anymore. Maybe if they were titanium I could wrestle them, but the only titanium I have to work with is holding my head on my neck.

So, I keep all my implements in the barn where the tractor is, and I have a trolley on an I beam with a chain hoist. Some of the implements I had to add an eye bolt or eye nut so that they could hang from the hoist in a reasonable mounting posture. Even my boom pole, which probably only weighs 60 lbs, I handle this way, and stow with blocks and rope holding it up against the wall. It's rare I lift more than 20 lbs. Oh, sure, in the halcyon days of youth, I did, but not any more!

/ I feel stupid #9  
With the JD quick hitch I think you have to buy the lower pins for you implement. I think some people will have problems getting the top to hook up also and someone makes an add on top hook to help. It all depends on the implements

/ I feel stupid #10  
With the JD quick hitch I think you have to buy the lower pins for you implement. I think some people will have problems getting the top to hook up also and someone makes an add on top hook to help. It all depends on the implements
Most of them you do, but the one I got is not John Deere. It was from good Works tractors in Michigan. You don’t need any bushings on it.