I don't understand something.

/ I don't understand something. #31  
OK, I don't understand a lot of things, but that's another thread.

My little squirt is approaching 4 years old (wow, has it really been that long?) and it approaching 500 hours, or around 125 hours a year.. I don't use it very much. It sits for weeks sometime between tasks if I don't have to mow.

But I keep seeing threads and posts about 20, 30, 40 year old tractors with hour readings that work out to 20 hours a year or less. Is it that they have more than one machine and each gets lesser use than if they only had one? How do you spend $20,000 or so on something you use so little?
I got on a tractor with 497 hours on it and hauled chicken poop for 3 days from 5:45 am till 9:00 pm. Has 500.9 hours on it now. How fast you run an engine determines hours on meter. Not like a watch. It was 105 HP tractor so it was easy work. I'm easy on it. Hours are low. I use my other tractor a lot, but maybe 20 hours on meter per year. No wide open throttle around here.

Attachments

• IMG_20220805_155336.jpg
    IMG_20220805_155336.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 107
   / I don't understand something. #32  
I guess you could sell the farm. Move to public housing in town. Sell your vehicles and ride the bus.

/ I don't understand something. #33  

My little squirt is approaching 4 years old (wow, has it really been that long?)

Thought you was going to ask something about your child
and it approaching 500 hours, or around 125 hours a year
Then saw this and got confused 🤷‍♀️

Need to put the wine away and sleep it off!

A very tipsy
Janet

/ I don't understand something. #35  
My main tractor use - winter, plowing snow - - spring, chipping all my small thinned pines - - summer, driveway maintenance. Otherwise - projects for upkeep of the property. The accumulated hours on my tractor - it is what it is.

/ I don't understand something. #36  
I think a lot of people are in the mindset that if they want a tool and can afford that tool then they buy that tool and use it as they see fit. ;)
....precisely this in most situations I suspect. Only thing I could add is the enjoyment/therapy factor that accompanies said purchase=priceless

/ I don't understand something. #38  
I run between 80-100 hours/year. Since gas is cheaper than diesel at the moment--by quite a bit, I have been using a smaller mower for part of my yard; but the bulk of the mowing is still with the tractor. I also cut my brush, clear driveways, haul some wood and other FEL work. All this on 13 acres.

/ I don't understand something. #39  

My little squirt is approaching 4 years old (wow, has it really been that long?) and it approaching 500 hours, or around 125 hours a year.. I don't use it very much. It sits for weeks sometime between tasks if I don't have to mow.

But I keep seeing threads and posts about 20, 30, 40 year old tractors with hour readings that work out to 20 hours a year or less. Is it that they have more than one machine and each gets lesser use than if they only had one? How do you spend $20,000 or so on something you use so little?

/ I don't understand something. #40  

People will reveal themselves for the strangest reasons...

My farm is 100 acres and 330 miles from my home. And another place I have is 3 acres 80 miles from the farm. I'm there for a few days once a month. The 1954 MH Pacer we got when I was 11 no longer covers my needs (though we keep it usable.) When I retired 21 years ago "farming" was a euphemism for my most expensive hobby. So I bought a real tractor new and spent 3 years getting the bugs out of it. It now has 550 hrs on it. That was expensive. Then Pap's barn that stood just fine since 1921 was destroyed in in a micro twister and I built a new building. Somewhere before retirement I found an incredible deal on a compact 4WD tractor which I have had for 29 years and is still the best tractor I ever saw. It has 545 hr on it. On price, 3 of the 4 tractors I own (not counting the glorified lawn mower here at home nor the family heirloom Pacer) averaged $5000 each, used. Will these things ever pay for themselves? Good heavens NO !

So how do you justify this? You can't and I don't have to. I leased out the 100 acre farm and I agreed to cut brush and pasture on 56 acres of it usually twice a year while the renters agreed to build fence, put in gates, do drainage ditches, etc. I can't do my part with an heirloom Pacer nor a garden tractor so I spent a fool's fortune on a new 81 hp tractor in 2011 plus half that much on attachments. "I needed it." Sure I did.

Every tractor I own is worth more now than when I bought it. My kids will not have to start from scratch when they take over.

Hours per year ? Who cares. Not a relevant variable in this equation.