I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor...

/ I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor... #1  

MTGreen

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 5220, Ford 1720, Deere Progator 2030
Amazing how versatile tractors are. Here's avoiding the purchase/rental of a rough terrain gantry crane to pull an inboard motor out of a 23' cuddy cabin boat with a 7' high transom

Attachments

• IMG_20231103_083942.jpg
    IMG_20231103_083942.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20231103_083947.jpg
    IMG_20231103_083947.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20231103_084005.jpg
    IMG_20231103_084005.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20231103_083956.jpg
    IMG_20231103_083956.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 120
   / I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor... #2  
I've had a tractor on the ranch for the past 25 yrs. Could not live without one. Today I have a tractor, a skid steer, a forklift and many attachments. It all makes life better and easier. Enjoy.

/ I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor... #3  
I would never be without a frontend loader tractor. Many years ago my Dad had a small "Economy" tractor that he cut grass with and planted about an acre garden.... He always said he regretted not getting a loader on that machine. I've been a loader guy ever since being on my own.

/ I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor... #4  
I would never be without a frontend loader tractor. Many years ago my Dad had a small "Economy" tractor that he cut grass with and planted about an acre garden.... He always said he regretted not getting a loader on that machine. I've been a loader guy ever since being on my own.
I was born on a row cropping farm,owned and operated countless tractors but never had a fel until I bought a 1994 20 horse Kubota with fel this year and found out the loader had almost caused it to split down the middle. I'm in the process of getting it operational by fabricating parts Kubota discontinued. I do have a tractor with gin pole I use for lifting but people borrow the 3 point pallet forks then neglect to return them claiming they didn't think I had a warehouse or use for them. Folks question why I keep a farm tractor around and I just say "because I want to". If they insinuate only farmers need tractors I ask how many pro golf tournaments they played in this past year.

/ I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor... #5  
You don't realize until you get a tractor to know how helpful
they can be. But when they break down its like a bad case
of hemorrhoids why the hell did I ever get that contraptions???

willy

/ I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor... #6  
HI! Fellow Montanan, yes a tractor is bar none one of the most versatile machines to have around.

/ I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor... #7  

I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor...​

You are right, but don't feel alone. Many others have said the same thing before you. ✋

/ I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor... #8  
My only regret in regards to tractors is not buying one 12 years sooner when we bought our property. Too many years of back breaking work, pushing a wheelbarrow, or dragging things with the riding mower.

Would've saved us a lot of time, money, and sore backs. Never thought I could justify one on 3 acres, but a subcompact turned out to be perfect for us.

/ I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor... #9  
I know how I did a wheel barrow shovel and a lot of back ashes

Deutz tractors 80/75 hp have no def/regen or maintenance on the
exhaust system

willy

/ I don't know how I got along for so long without a tractor... #10  
This apple orchard has always been contracted to a larger grower nearby for tillage and harvest. Grandpa, Dad, and now I, have the responsibility for planting and maintaining new trees up to harvestable. And maintaining the quarter mile easement out to the highway.

Dad hired day labor for his planting projects, and he dragged hundreds of feet of garden hose all over the place for the 3-5 years that new trees need irrigation. He insisted I carry buckets in wheelbarrows, in his elderly last couple of years when I was coming over weekly to take care of him. I refused, there were other more pressing issues to deal with, and several new trees were lost. After the place was mine I said s**** that and bought the 1980 Yanmar to carry water and do what had been done with wheelbarrows, including family harvest. Soon I realized the contractor waits several years before digging out dead stumps so I got the backhoe for that, to speed up the always-needed replanting in this old orchard.

I can't imagine how the first owner did everything with horses.

After several years I realized a smaller 4x4 Yanmar would fit under the trees and still serve as well as the YM240, so its my principal tractor now. Photo below.