I destroyed the gearbox on my brush hog.... help

/ I destroyed the gearbox on my brush hog.... help #31  
I can run the engine at lower speeds and get a good cut.
Im sure you could if you make your own custom cutter or modification to one. But NO ONE puts a 2:1 box on anything larger than a 5' cutter.

So I am just clarifying your post for others.....who may not know or understand. That way they dont start looking for a 6' cutter and keep rejecting them because they are holding out for a 2:1 box based on your advise

/ I destroyed the gearbox on my brush hog.... help #32  
Im sure you could if you make your own custom cutter or modification to one. But NO ONE puts a 2:1 box on anything larger than a 5' cutter.

So I am just clarifying your post for others.....who may not know or understand. That way they dont start looking for a 6' cutter and keep rejecting them because they are holding out for a 2:1 box based on your advise
The OP said himself that a 1:94 ratio box was available for his cutter. Some people run a regular cutter on 1000 pto with the engine rpm low. A regular cutter behind an old gas tractor, with higher engine rpm than diesel, same difference. Those cut faster. I mean them old round hooded tractors from maybe 1960's, we still use them. In fact I have a 58 model sitting here now, but it's diesel.

/ I destroyed the gearbox on my brush hog.... help #33  
The OP said himself that a 1:94 ratio box was available for his cutter. Some people run a regular cutter on 1000 pto with the engine rpm low. A regular cutter behind an old gas tractor, with higher engine rpm than diesel, same difference. Those cut faster. I mean them old round hooded tractors from maybe 1960's, we still use them. In fact I have a 58 model sitting here now, but it's diesel.
The OP has a 6' cutter.

No MFG has EVER put a ~2:1 box on a 6' 540 pto cutter PERIOD. You would exceed 20,000 fpm blade speed and exceed the safety of what things are designed for. Sure....you could run at 1/2 or 2/3 throttle and be okay. But what about the next guy that dont know any better?

The OP NEVER said
1:94 ratio box was available for his cutter

He said he can get an omni RC51 in that ratio. There is a big difference. Im sorry you cannot see that.

To the OP....do NOT exceed a 1.5:1 gearbox on a 6' cutter

/ I destroyed the gearbox on my brush hog.... help #34  
Hey All, First time posting on this forum.

I have a 1966 Ford 4500 Industrial Tractor with the 3 Cyl Diesel.

I bought a used howse 6 foot cutter, and have used it a couple times, probably cut about 6 acres with it total. I know the person who owned it previously and he seems to take good care of his stuff, but admittedly his pastures are like lawns, not much hard stuff to cut.

I noticed the gear box had gotten real loose and so I loctited all the bolts. Then I hit a small stump and broke my first shear pin. Also note, I had a oil leak from around the input shaft seal so i would add gear oil occasionally.

Anyway today my friend was helping me brush hog while i was doing other things and he said it started making a terrible noise. We parked it and opened up the gear box and this is what we found -

View attachment 821085. View attachment 821086

So obviously the gear box is toast. What I am trying to figure out is why did this happen, and how do I prevent it in the future. I don't want to buy a new gear box and have it get destroyed by the 3rd time I use it.

Looking at the model number of the gear box, it appears to be a 40HP rated gear box. Should i try to replace it with something heavier duty? Should i replace i with stock and look for a beefier cutter? Any help would be appreciated, This is my first tractor Ive owned and learning a lot, sometimes the hard way.

View attachment 821089
PROBABLY TRYING TO CUT TOO SHORT AND TOO FAST....AND HITTING A STUMP...GET A NEW ONE OR FIX THE GEAR BOX YOU HAVE..

/ I destroyed the gearbox on my brush hog.... help #35  

I bought a used howse 6 foot cutter, and have used it a couple times, probably cut about 6 acres with it total. I know the person who owned it previously and he seems to take good care of his stuff, but admittedly his pastures are like lawns, not much hard stuff to cut.

I noticed the gear box had gotten real loose and so I loctited all the bolts. Then I hit a small stump and broke my first shear pin. Also note, I had a oil leak from around the input shaft seal so i would add gear oil occasionally.

Anyway today my friend was helping me brush hog while i was doing other things and he said it started making a terrible noise. We parked it and opened up the gear box and this is what we found -

So obviously the gear box is toast. What I am trying to figure out is why did this happen, and how do I prevent it in the future. I don't want to buy a new gear box and have it get destroyed by the 3rd time I use it.

Looking at the model number of the gear box, it appears to be a 40HP rated gear box. Should i try to replace it with something heavier duty? Should i replace i with stock and look for a beefier cutter? Any help would be appreciated, This is my first tractor Ive owned and learning a lot, sometimes the hard way.

View attachment 821089

/ I destroyed the gearbox on my brush hog.... help #36  
What bolts were loose on the gearbox?

If they were the bolts that hold the input shaft in.....that could explain it. As the input bolts get loose, it would allow too much backlash (clearance) between the gears and they could wipe out as pictured.

You mentioned leaks. Did it ever run low?

While I agree that a 40hp gearbox on a higher HP tractor shouldnt be an issue....as a shearbolt or clutch should protect it regardless. But this dont look like impact damage. Just looks like wear either from backlash adjustment or lack of lube.

But who you bought the cutter off of....was using it correctly. 40hp light duty cutter for pastures that look like lawn. They arent built to smack stumps and hog brush. So if that is your future intended use, you need to look for a heavier cutter. Most all cutters are rated at a certain "capacity". That meaning the diameter of tree saplings/brush they can handle. And most light duty ones are only rated for 1" or less saplings. Which is quite small....like only a little more than half a golfballs diameter.

Medium duty cutters are usually 2", heavy duty 3" and very heavy/extreme 4".

And with each increase in capacity, the gearboxes get much higher ratings. 3" capacity cutters usually have well over 100hp rated gearboxes.
My neighbour has done the same thing. Some People do not realize that these are NOT Finishing mowers. The Sides should NOT touch the ground when in use and keep it Level.
As you have found they do not handle rocks or stumps well.
My neighbour has 3" worn off the sides at the front and continues to run it too Low with the new one.
Nobody listens.

/ I destroyed the gearbox on my brush hog.... help #37  
Well first of all if you are leaking oil fix it
Second check shafts for play usually a reason seals leak
Third instead of shear pin, clutches work better can pick up aftermarket drivelines with them on already, cut to fit
Bareco is the company I go with
I can buy a new driveline cheaper that repairing them most times

/ I destroyed the gearbox on my brush hog.... help #38  
Run corn-head grease in the new box instead of gear oil.

/ I destroyed the gearbox on my brush hog.... help #39  

View attachment 821089

Good morning. From your pics it looks like a few teeth are sheared on the one gear.
That is an easy fix and a lot less expensive than a new cutter. It's your call, but for me, I would replace the gears. Replace the seals and bearings and keep using your shredder if the gearbox case is in good condition. Now, if you have more cash than our government, just buy new everything. BTW, you have a good tractor that is the kind I like. If you use a cutter/shredder you can just expect repairs as it is normal. We shear pins and bolts constantly but we also cut saplings and small trees along with the weeds. Just keep the blades sharpened. You might want to adjust your slip clutch on the drive shaft and add a stump jumper disk to avoid damaging the blade shaft. Good luck with all.

View attachment 821089

View attachment 821089

Last edited:
   / I destroyed the gearbox on my brush hog.... help #40  
I can tell you what a 50hp gearbox looks like when run on a 90hp tractor and no shear protection and no clutch.5/8 bolts holding the gearbox together failed and ended up with a broken gearbox flange as well. What you have happened over a long period of time. My experience was a 1970’s era bush hog I repaired it and still use it today, bought it broken. I worry about the pto in the tractor more so than the mower.