I built a big saw for slicing up a forklift, or anything else on earth.

/ I built a big saw for slicing up a forklift, or anything else on earth. #1  

strantor

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H
I built this janky monstrosity out of unistrut and I call it the BAWS. It's a Diamond Wire saw and uses surplus (new/expired) wire from the semiconductor industry. They would have used it to dice up silicon ingots into wafers in the manufacture of chips, or to slice up lab-grown sapphire into iPhone screens. I'm using it to surgically destroy whatever entertains me. The saw's original purpose was to be a "quick & dirty" means to an end: cutting up a forklift counterweight into machinable chunks of cast iron for another build project. But I got a little carried away, the saw it turned into its own project, and my juvenile curiosity influenced the direction I went with it.

tractorsaw1.jpg tractorsaw2.jpg tractorsaw3.jpg

I hope you all find this as entertaining as I do.

If you like what you see, please consider giving my video a "like" (on youtube) so that it will get more views, and subscribing to my YouTube channel. In the next few days I'll be posting more content related to the saw but in the near future I'll be posting videos of a myriad of other kinds of builds and topics related to tractors, machinery, guns/ammo, electronics, etc. Here is just a small sample of my list of videos I intend to do:
  • Build a small CNC Swiss Lathe for the manufacture of solid copper projectiles (that's what the forklift cast iron is for)
  • Build a PTO generator
  • Build a Constant-horsepower air compressor
  • Tractor ECU hacking
  • Build an amphibious aluminum jet boat
  • Build a plasma pantograph attachment for the CNC mill
  • Build a range brass sorter using computer vision
  • Build an auto-leveling FEL that compensates for terrain angle

Last edited:
   / I built a big saw for slicing up a forklift, or anything else on earth.
Can this thread be moved to Build It Yourself?

/ I built a big saw for slicing up a forklift, or anything else on earth. #3  
You built a generator from scratch? As in built the stator core and wound it and constructed and wound the rotor?

You built a generator from scratch? As in built the stator core and wound it and constructed and wound the rotor?
No, sorry. Build, future tense. And not from scratch. Build a PTO generator with emphasis on the PTO part.

/ I built a big saw for slicing up a forklift, or anything else on earth. #5  
Oh. Got it. Yea, that's no biggie there. I've assembled a few of them. Fabbed trailers, electrical distribution and lighting for the. You pull it to where you want power and everything you need is there.

Oh. Got it. Yea, that's no biggie there. I've assembled a few of them. Fabbed trailers, electrical distribution and lighting for the. You pull it to where you want power and everything you need is there.
The generator build/assembly is something I started a few years ago and never finished. That's one of my reasons for getting active on YouTube again; some accountability for finishing projects. The video will be a retroactive recap of getting it to the point it's at, and filming the completion. There's more to this one than there would be for a PTO generator assembled from the generator head off a kaput gas generator because this one came off a 210kW caterpillar skid-mounted oil rig generator. It weighs around 2,500lbs and one end of it was supported by the crankshaft. I had to make a new business end with supporting bearing for it to be able to rotate.

/ I built a big saw for slicing up a forklift, or anything else on earth. #7  
What are you planning on spinning a .2 MW generator with?

What are you planning on spinning a .2 MW generator with?
Why, a 0.0298MW LS tractor, what else would I use? :p

I can spin the rotor up with a cordless drill so I don't think the tractor will have any problem. Of course I won't be able to power the whole county as the generator's data plate indicates I should be able to, not with my little tractor as the prime mover, but it should be more than capable of powering my whole all-electric house (incl. electric heat and water heater) during a winter power outage.

/ I built a big saw for slicing up a forklift, or anything else on earth. #9  
Is that a 2 pole or 4 pole generator? I assume 2 pole.