I broke my NH 640 sledge!

/ I broke my NH 640 sledge! #1  

smgriffin

Tractor
Kubota M125X, JD 5425
I have a NH 640 round baler and today the sledge roller snapped off where it attaches to the sledge. The sledge needs to be replaced. Not sure the damage to the sledge roller. Has anyone seen this before? It looks like the sledge roller could have been rubbing against the sledge and created a weak place. The bale was being formed and was just getting ready to be tied.
What a bummer! I guess I will take it to the dealer tomorrow to get an estimate.

/ I broke my NH 640 sledge!
After talking to several dealers, I was able to find the answer to my question.

Over time the belts will wear a groove in the sledge. Usually on the right side of the sledge roller. You are suppose to check this each season and fill in the groove with a welder. Then grind the weld smooth. If you don't do this, one day the sledge will break in half. A new sledge is $900.00 and the labor is 10-12hrs.

A very expense lesson! To me this is a poor design. In the newer NH balers, I think they have changed the design to prevent this.

/ I broke my NH 640 sledge! #3  
Sorry to hear the breakdown. On a nh 640 which roller is the sledge roller? Tomorrow I am going to look at a 640 thinking of buying it also looking at a Vicon 1210 about 2 miles farther away. Never used either one . I have used JD, Vermeer, M&W, Hesston,Case . What should I look for on the 640? So far all I have been able to find out about is , auto tie(string only) ,under 1500 rolls, 1 new belt,might need new tires. Didnt want to look at equipment on the holiday ,that is the only time the owners will be up here . thank you scrapironford

/ I broke my NH 640 sledge!
The easiest way to see the sledge roller is to go to messicks.com, new holland parts, 640 model, and look at the sledge. You will see the sledge follower roller on the parts diagram. I would look at outside edge of the right and left most belt and see if there is any grooves cut into the metal. I have learned that this problem is caused by improper baling(Operator error). If you make barrel shape bales(The middle of the bale is larger than the outside edges), it will cause the belts to track to the outside therefore rubbing against the frame. The 640 manual talks about making the proper windrow, forming the core and proper baling once the core is built. Of course, this does take some practice. It always looks easier in the manual. I bought this baler used several years ago and did not know what to look for. If I would have caught this problem early. it would have been easy to fix. As far as other things to look for I am such a newbie, someone else could probably give better information than I. Other than basic wear and tear items, I have not had any problems with the 640. Another gentleman on tractorbynet bought a used 640 and had a bearing go out on one of the main rollers. His estimate was $3000 to repair the damaged it caused.

/ I broke my NH 640 sledge! #5  
Thank you.:) I went to Messicks and found it. I have learned the hard way about not making proper shaped bales,full windrows , enough hay in it ,proper speed and not to over fill the baler. Now if the operator,me, can do his part,you know what I am getting at.:eek: It is good to know that the 640 is a very reliable baler. They are all going to breakdown sometime. Scrapironford