I am afraid new planter damaged my hydralic pump

/ I am afraid new planter damaged my hydralic pump #1  

deere755

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case 2090 Massey Ferguson 4233 John Deere 4700
After using my 4 row mounted planter for a day and a half I started noticing the relief valve kicking in all the time with the planter in the air. It got so bad it was jerking up and down. I stopped using it but I may have waited to late. I notice now when the tractor is shut off the 3pt leaks off even when nothing is hooked to it. I figure the relief valve probably needs replaced but I know nothing about them. The pump makes no noise so I feel good about that part of it. Steering, brakes, transmition all seem fine. The other thing I noticed with the tractor running the wheel disk not hooked to the 3pt leaked off some. What would it take to fix all this and would it be expensive.If we are talking big bucks maybe its time to go to a bigger tractor. I probably do more with this tractor then I should already.

/ I am afraid new planter damaged my hydralic pump #2  
I think it is not a pressure relive valve that leaks, I think it is the 3 point lift arm cylinder. I don't think the price to fix would justify a bigger tractor, unless the one you have is to small to start with. Don't worry on your hydraulic pump, zero damage there.

/ I am afraid new planter damaged my hydralic pump #3  
I think it is not a pressure relive valve that leaks, I think it is the 3 point lift arm cylinder. I don't think the price to fix would justify a bigger tractor, unless the one you have is to small to start with. Don't worry on your hydraulic pump, zero damage there.

Agree here.. But, the wear and tear on the 3pt lift clinder is "cumulative" and just gets worse - especially if you're working the 3pt at the maximum!

It'll get tired enough that you'll need to rebuild it - although, that can take a number of years of use - even when used at the weight limits.

That said, going up in tractor size is probably not a bad idea!

AKfish

/ I am afraid new planter damaged my hydralic pump #4  
I have seen intermittent behavior like that on my JD and Kubotas. I think its position control correcting for leakdown. Dont know what causes it, but they dont do it much. Kinda like a particle gets somewhere and causes leakage temporarily. The JD will drop arms when off and theres no load, but holds well overnite when theres a few hundred lbs on the arms. Sorta sounds like the lift cyl seal is stiff on that one - at 50 it has an excuse. Hows your hyd fluid look?
larry