Hypro centrifugal sprayer pump hard turning by hand

/ Hypro centrifugal sprayer pump hard turning by hand #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I purchased a used Ag-Chem 240gal sprayer which, while older, seems to be in great shape.

It came with a Hypro centrifugal PTO pump, and I致e never used one before.

When turning by hand, it turns, but is pretty tough/tight. I haven稚 put it on the PTO yet. I知 sure it can turn it, but I知 NOT sure how hard/easy it should be turning, and I don稚 want to screw something up, because Of my lack of knowledge. How hard are these to turn normally?

Last edited:
   / Hypro centrifugal sprayer pump hard turning by hand #2  
never seen the pump in person, but it looks to have a gearbox on it to up it rotational speed of the pump .
the gear gox may have some drag in it, (my guess is it would not hurt to check the gear box for oil), apparently there are two different styles, I would think the coupler would be matched to the correct speed, also one may want to check the bearings, run it a bit and feel for warmth, and or noise, (remember to not get near rotation items).

most pumps have a torque arm, (a angle iron or flat that is about 12" long that is changed to some part of the tractor, to keep the pump from rotating and twisting up the hoses,

manual for pump, https://system.na3.netsuite.com/cor...952&c=3609571&h=536073de99c6680a83b6&_xt=.pdf

Apartely there is a plate that uses the PTO guard for support, (looks like it is an option).

/ Hypro centrifugal sprayer pump hard turning by hand #3  
Not sure brand of my pump but it does not rotate easy by hand. Not near as easy as roller pump does. But it is pumping much higher volume and ought to for price difference. DO NOT RUN THAT PUMP DRY, roller pumps are self priming, this pump needs fluid in it before you engage it. Probably has a vent line on the pump to let the air be pushed out before you engage it.