Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter
Mark,

Like everyone else I don't appreciate my threads getting hijacked. I asked a question about a particular used plasma cutter and your response had nothing to do with my thread. I did get some imformative relevant posts related to my thread, but yours was neither relevant, nor informative.

You may have convinced yourself that you weren't bad mouthing Hypertherm, but I doubt if anyone else would agree with you. You would be better served by simply stating what your company's products can do and their cost, when approriate to the thread.

Last edited:
   / Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #12  
Mark,

Like everyone else I don't appreciate my threads getting hijacked. I asked a question about a particular used plasma cutter and your response had nothing to do with my thread. I did get some imformative relevant posts related to my thread, but your was neither relevant, nor informative.

You may have convinced yourself that you weren't bad mouthing Hypertherm, but I doubt if anyone else would agree with you. You would be better served by simply stating what your company's products can do and their cost, when approriate to the thread.

Well said.

And no, I would not pay $900 for this as-is, without proof it works.

I see them on craigslist for that price (when they are there, not often).
It seems they go from 800-1100, all depends on what the person wants to spend, and if they look abused or barely used.

Like I said now days the 45 replaced the 600, so the 600 is an older model with older technology, and is also a good bit heavier.

Mark - Seeing how you have a financial interest in your company then anything out of your mouth regarding a competitor will be interpreted as such. It's my opinion that as a competing company you never stop representing your company, especially when you make attempts (however sly) to bad mouth a competitor. I've personally never dealt with you so I have nothing personally against you. I also don't care if you bad mouth competitors and use that as a method to gain business while it won't attract my business (I like 3rd party reviews/comparisons) you can do what you like, but coming into a thread regarding a question about a competitor, and then stating how bad their product worked during a demo is not cool.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #13  
Not trying to hijack a thread. My apologies. The reason I offered such information is that consumables and performance are a big issue in the industry. I believe that the torch designs are similar,and that might be worth checking out, since the torches involve moving and spring loaded parts that can and do stick...as was demonstrated today. ESAB has some HF models out that have no moving parts. But once the cat has clawed through the bag, its hard to stuff it back in but again I apologize for the interruption. You made it clear, so here is some helpful advice: Its an older unit, not in production any longer. There are good thermadynes around that probably will not have the resale value but operate just as good. I have used the cutmasters a lot and found them to be quite good. They rate their cut capacities differently, so its hard to compare apples to apples, but the cutmasters I have used perform well with the blowback start style the hypertherms have.

TWD,
If you wish to interpret everything I say about a product as an attempt to make a sale, then that is your loss...I have considerable experience with multiple products. First, if you knew anything about me, you know I am hardest on my own product...Second, you'd know that I came aboard my company as a condition that truthfulness would be at the forefront of all my dealings. That's the way I conduct myself in home, personal and professional relationships. I have list of references a mile long that I can provide to you if you question my intentions.

Last edited:
   / Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #14  
I didn't realize this was a "real" auction. On eBay I wouldn't have any trouble buying it for $900 with the return policy and all. I haven't seen any used 45s for sale though which is why I think the resale value on the 600 is still so high.

Mark, you just don't know when to shut up and let it go, do you?

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #15  
If you can buy it right at auction, buy it. Yes, it's a bigger machine than the new PM45, but it's a great machine, rated at around 1/2"- 5/8" with proper travel speeds. Look it over good for signs of neglect and abuse with the knowledge that a major part such as a PC board can cost more than you initially pay for it. If you do buy it, spend a little time and clean it up and blow out the inside of the unit. It's amazing how much dust collects inside a machine and how that affects its performance.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter
I drug my butt out of bed to go to the auction at about 7:45 AM and looked at the Powermax 600 amongst other things and it looked new. It had the manuals, etc in the original plastic case. I spoke to one of the owners (the company was a pretty good sized commercial construction company) and he said it was acquired for one job and used once!! Their fabricator preferred the old cutting torch. That company had more drills, saws etc, than Lowes has at one of their stores which they auctioned off first. To make a long story short, I got it for $650.

There was also a Millermatic 200 sitting inside which was in very good shape, so I thought if I could steal it, I would, but it went for $1,350. Right next to it was Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt which I didn't give a thought to but I was right next to the auctioneer and the guy talked faster than any auctioneer that I have ever heard and I thought the bid was at $125 and I asked him if it was at $125 and he said no, it was at $25 as no one had bid, so I said $20. This guy next to me starts bidding and it gets to $85 and I figured I would let him have it and when the auctioneer says sold, the guy says to me and the auctioneer, "Is that a welder, I don't want that, I thought we were bidding on the generator next to it." The auctioneer is a little pissed but he says let start over with your $20 bid, and no one else bid. I figure I will clean it and test it to see if it is working correctly and buy new cables if it is.

Last edited:
   / Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #17  
Holy Cow man:shocked: you made out like a bandit!

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #19  
Nice job! You'll love the PM600. The Thunderbolt is a good unit for a home shop also.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #20  
Hey Mark,

I have personally used most of the Everlast plasma systems. They are a decent value for the price.....however I don't think the claims you made in your previous post are in any way true.

In my personal evaluations....the Hypertherm units have close to a 5x advantage in regards to consumable life.....cut speeds of a Hypertherm 45 Amp unit are comparable with your 60 Amp unit, and reliability.....well....we can just listen to the installed base of customers on that one! The Hypertherm units are considerably more expensive as compared to most of the Chinese imports....they are designed and built in Hanover, NH, USA by employee owners of the company. Hypertherm has over 85 engineers, over 15 with pHd's that design every part of our systems. We do not use or copy other companies torch designes, rather we engineer our own.....each new product design is better than the previous one. I'd be happy to compare performance of our systems with similar amperage and thickness ratings side by side!

An interesting point....China is one of Hypertherms most rapidly growing markets. Our products are very popular there! Shipped from Hanover, NH, USA.

Best regards, Jim Colt A 32 + year employee / owner of Hypertherm

TWD,

I can certainly see where you were coming from, but I was doing this on my own for my personal experience and betterment. I was not bashing, and said I would report on what happens tomorrow. Do you think I made up what happened or something? I sat/stood there from 4-7pm today hoping to see it work. It did not happen...period. It made one actual cut and blew out the tip. It could happen to any brand if something isn't right. It could be that the unit is not reducing amps when the pilot arc fires or that the electrode seized...

If I need to, I guess I could retrieve the burned out consumables...

Being a rep for another company somehow prevents me from making any kind of remark about what I personally observed or any comment I make in passing should be invalidated whether FOR or AGAINST? I never said it was bad or bashed it in any way. I just reported on its performance today. I am going to be using it extensively in the next few weeks to learn some more about it and its performance. Its a new unit and a new table...a lot of things can go wrong. Again, I never bashed it, only said I was disappointed in the afternoon's events.

I am here as a representative of my company but also as an individual. I have a background in farming, farm equipment, vegetable and floral production, and I run my own welding business on the side...which was the primary reason I was attending the instructional class. Again I was not trying to promote my own units, but I was actually, if you caught my dry humor, deprecating my own product by saying I expected more out of it than mine.

I guess if you are incensed that this website is supported by advertisers and particularly by a company you oppose, then I can see where it could come across the way you have seen it.

But let me be clear...I will say it again...I was not bashing the unit,and I look forward to using it over the next 8 weeks or so. Everyone that has one of these units that I have talked to likes it. I am sure the bugs will get fixed tomorrow and it will operate fine...