Traction Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills)

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #41  
Not sure if my experience will add anything useful to the discussion at this point, but I will share it in the event it might. I own some steep-ish vacation property with a dirt access road that has ~150' at 15-deg or slightly steeper, and has a slight RH curve. A few years back I rented a T6. I tried towing it up with my F250 4x4 V10. Got stuck nearly at the top of that grade. Because of the curve and my inexperience at towing, when I tried to back down I got the trailer wheel stuck in the drainage ditch. I decided to back the Terramite off the trailer from there (not many other options :) Add to the grade the angle of the ramps and the fact that the RH ramp was resting in the ditch, not on road surface. I started to back the tractor off by nudging the pedal into reverse, then returned it to a neutral position (so far as I could determine.) The tractor, once motion was started, _did_ continue to roll backward down the ramps after changing pedal position, at a speed that was greater than suited my comfort level. I decided to counter this by nudging the pedal into forward, thinking I could feather it and use for braking. Not. The T6 went vertical, and I was momentarily stuck at an angle that afforded a great view of blue sky and cumulus clouds through my trees. After the adrenalin rush subsided, I let off the pedal, and the tractor slowly returned its front tires to the ramp, after which I was able to complete backing off, and ascended the grade with tractor alone uneventfully. Now, this was a rental unit, and may have been pretty well abused. I also may have slightly misjudged neutral position on the pedal as a result of my own angle from horizontal. Nevertheless, the tractor did appear to (continue to) roll backward at a slow walking pace while the engine was running and the pedal was in a (more-or-less) neutral position, then abruptly did a wheelstand when I attempted to use the pedal to brake. Wheelstands are exciting and fun on a dirt bike, still exciting, but somewhat less fun on a tractor :) My wife describes this incident as the time she saw _my_ life flash before _her_ eyes... I now own a T5 that I plan to take down to this property as soon as I complete a bit of fixing up. I'm planning to drive the tractor up my access road on its own.