Hydrostat on hills

/ Hydrostat on hills #11  
If it's steep enough that an HST will start to roll a bit when sitting without the brakes on, then a gear tractor sitting in the same spot in neutral without the brakes on is going to be rolling much faster and farther.

I think that would be my last concern if I was debating HST or gear trans in a tractor.

/ Hydrostat on hills #12  
A HST will creep a little bit but nothing close to freewheeling. They also have brakes.
Mine free wheels with brake off and out of gear (in neutral).... Its something that must be tractor specific, not HST in general....

Each tractor owner needs to experiment on how HST operates and adjust its use accordingly.... Apparently not not all tractors with HST function the same....

Last edited:
   / Hydrostat on hills
My issue before with ahydro. While mowing downhil if I wanted to slowdown my forward movement by easing up on drive it didn't slow and on that one brake was on same side as hydro so hard to work both. Wasn't my tractor and maybe just wasn't used to its function
In my gear tractor I just put in lowest gear let Engine brake and use wheel brakes as needed.

/ Hydrostat on hills
I do appreciate the responses.

/ Hydrostat on hills #15  
My TYM 353HST does slow down when you remove your forward foot even going downhill. I very seldom have to use my left foot on the brakes. I use the parking brake at a minimum (versus loader and 3pt on the ground) even when on a level surface.

/ Hydrostat on hills #16  
I have two hydro tractors. Both small.

When operating , the fwd rev pedal is every bit as powerful as a brake and a mechanical gearbox. That is, if driving down hill, and the pedal is actuated to provide revers direction, the drive wheels will rotate in a manner sending the tractor back up the hill in reverse. Better than brakes!

With the engine on, but the tractor stopped to do some loading or other task, the tractor will "drift" based on the most subtle position of the pedal on either side of true neutral. I sometimes use this "feature" to advantage when hooking up implements. The parking brake along with shifting out of drive engagement to the Hydro-stat is the way around the drift.

With the engine OFF, and stopped, but with no parking brake set, just relying on the hydro transmission to hold the tractor, it's a progressive acceleration once the tractor starts rolling. There is friction, but the tractor will roll faster and faster even if the lands do not increase in slope.

My place has about ZERO level land, So I get to play with these aspects regularly.

The two mechanical gear tractors are dead reliable, and return immediate responses to stupidity on my part ;-)

/ Hydrostat on hills #17  
About the only time I use the brakes on mine is to set the parking brake. I also never put it in neutral.

/ Hydrostat on hills
Thanks to all for replies and thoughts

/ Hydrostat on hills #19  
I also rarely use brakes, other than to set parking brake. Rolling topography around here too. I only put in neutral when I have to start engine.

/ Hydrostat on hills #20  
I've been using hydro tractors for years and my creeping / rolling experience has been similar to many of those mentioned above.

As for power on hills, HST tractors provide almost infinite "gear" selection but it comes at the expense of a few HP. Many models have features like "Stall Guard" and "Auto Throttle Advance" which can compensate for this slight loss of power. Some also have a dual range HST function which doubles the number of speed range settings.

IMO, the convenience of an HST tractor is well worth the slight reduction in available HP. This should be taken into consideration when shopping for an HST however. Going up a notch in HP might be helpful depending on the planned usage.